What the American Flag Means | Teen Ink

What the American Flag Means

November 6, 2015
By Highlander GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Highlander GOLD, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
13 articles 2 photos 1 comment

Red, white, and blue make the flag of the greatest nation on earth. The stars and stripes represent the struggles “We the People” endured to make this nation prosperous, safe, and free. All the while, the Star Spangled Banner flew overhead as a symbol of perseverance, unity, and strength to all who proudly call themselves American. 


Americans never falter at completing what is said cannot be done. In 1776, we became our own nation, free from England. The American people struggled through war and disease to bring freedom to the colonies. A flag was made for our new nation and it represented the will to be free and the brave soldiers who fought and died for the country.


Thomas Edison invented the light bulb which revolutionized America. But Edison had over 3,000 failed filaments before he perfected his design. He never gave up and became an influential part of American history. His light bulb is found across the globe--representing the hard work of Americans under the stars and stripes.


On October 29, 1929, the nation’s greatest economic collapse occurred... dragging the nation into the Great Depression. But Americans bonded together and worked through this struggle. Franklin D. Roosevelt, the nation’s great leader at the time, led the people through the hard times to economic success with the start of WWI.


But the greatest demonstration of American strength, unity, and determination came on September 11, 2001. With the terrorist attack on the Twin Towers, Americans bonded together to help families and the nation recover, to save those trapped or injured by the buildings, and to keep America safe from any attacks.
Through all of these events in history, the American flag stood proudly at the front of the nation, leading and guiding its citizens to persevere and demonstrate unity and strength as one people. The American flag symbolizes every citizen that makes up this wonderful nation.