Banning Common Sense | Teen Ink

Banning Common Sense

Crash. The baseball flies into the window. Through the shards of glass Mom sees Timmy, sheepish and guilty, with a bat in his hand. She's furious, but who does she punish, the bat or the boy? People today are trying to restrict and even ban guns. This is a bad idea because guns are not the problem and guns are needed. Banning private gun ownership is what Hitler did years ago. 

Guns are not the problem. They don't kill people; people kill people. If you banned guns people would still murder. In China where it is my understanding that guns are banned; there are still many killings and mass murders with such items as clubs and knives. Eliminating guns would not solve the problem. 

Guns are needed. Recently there was a break in by two armed men in Oklahoma. One man was armed with a twelve inch hunting knife. The homeowner and her newborn child survived because the mother had a gun to defend herself. Suppose an enemy of our nation invaded our country and defeated our military. How could we defend ourselves without private gun ownership?

To wrap it up, it would be foolish to ban guns for many practical reasons. I hope politicians will consider the previous points. Banning guns would be banning common sense.