Time Management & Role of Time Management Tools | Teen Ink

Time Management & Role of Time Management Tools

By WriterExpert7 GOLD, Lahore, Other
WriterExpert7 GOLD, Lahore, Other

"What I am looking for is not out there, it's in me." ~ Hellen Keller

Everybody knows that time runs without stopping, leaving everyone behind, unless one knows how to grasp and use it properly. Utilizing time in the most effective and efficient way is called time management. All tasks are accomplished successfully by managing time, efficiently. In the memorable words of Stephen Covey: "The key is not to prioritize what's on your schedule, but to schedule your priorities."

Dictionary defines time as: "the point or period at which things occur". Alternatively, Wikipedia explains it more profoundly as: "Time is a measure of durations of events and the intervals between events".

Wikipedia explains time management as: "the act or process of planning and exercising conscious control over the amount of time spent on specific activities, especially to increase effectiveness, efficiency or productivity." It has multiple benefits, some are listed below:

No tension or burnout - Managing time enables one to complete his/her work; properly. The attitude will lead the person towards no fuss in work.
More is achieved - Time management increases the effectiveness of the work, so that, a person achieves more on account of time efficiency.
Extra leisure time - As the work is finished, swiftly, there will be a lot of time for leisure.

Time runs in two different ways; swiftly and slowly. Time flies or drags depend on what one is doing. For example, two minutes at the workshop of a motor vehicle can feel like two hours. On the other hand, watching your favorite TV show for two hours may seem like only two minutes. Good/interesting times fly swiftly; however, bad/boring times crawl slowly. It is due to the psychological aspect of time. The psychic aspect is free from outer measurements; rather, it is based on the subconscious approach of duration.

There is a specific timing in which one produces the best results; this time is called prime time. Prime time is the time at which the person can be most productive in his/her work to acquire optimal results. Everyone has his/her own prime time. It is usually in the morning because the mind is fresh. Yet, it is not compulsory; prime time can be any time of the day. According to research, working in the prime time improves 10 to 15 percent productivity of an individual.

To apply time management, one needs to be aware of time, at certain moments and places. To fulfill this purpose, some time management tools are needed. The most important tools are; wristwatches and wall clocks.

A wristwatch is a small clock which can be carried or worn by a person at anytime and anywhere. In addition, it is beneficial for only an individual. On the other hand, a wall clock, mounted on the wall, is beneficial for multiple people. Almost all activities depend on clocks; making life easier and more organized. When life is organized, the person will most probably succeed.

Modern wristwatches often display date (with the name of the day), month and year, but electronic watches have many advanced features. Alarms are common in wristwatches, however, some modern designs also support calculators, GPS (Global Positioning System) technology and heart-rate monitoring feature! Moreover, they also receive and use time signals from the satellites, which make them correct timekeepers. On the other hand, a wall clock is a tool mounted on the wall that displays time either in analog or digital format. Analog wall clock uses angles to show time. It has hands (hour, minute and second) which rotate around the clock's face. Clock's face is a flat disk which has numbers; one to twelve. On the other hand, digital clocks use digital numbers to display time. Unlike an analog wall clock, which has twelve hours, a digital clock can be either a 12-hours clock (am and pm) or 24-hours clock. These clocks are easier to use and read than analog wall clock.

Despite the above-mentioned features and components, the most important one, which should not be disregarded, is using a watch can help one manage time in the most effective and efficient way which will, of course, lead the person to success.

Any work under proper time management produces the best results. On the other hand, procrastination towards work produces the least output. If one manages time by following an efficient timetable and using a couple of time management tools, he/she can carry out more with less effort. However, if the person doesn't, he/she achieves less and hence won't be able to get self-esteem or recognition in life. I would like to conclude my article on the nice words of Michael: "The bad news is time flies. The good news is you're the pilot."

Some people have outstanding skills to manage their time while others find difficulty in making an efficient timetable. Time management can be applied, if one tries to, with full determination. It can help the person accomplish the most, with less effort. In addition, a couple of time management tools are required to use time effectively.