Gay Marriage: Time for a Change | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage: Time for a Change

March 3, 2009
By Anonymous

'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal'' These are the words written in the Declaration of Independence and the belief that America was founded on. Of course it's obvious that equality is not the standard that our country has always abided by in the past or the ideal that it finds itself in now. Many groups including women and African Americans have fought for equal rights in our nation's history and Gay Americans now find themselves in that same struggle.



Proposition 8 (which overturned the ruling of four State Supreme Court justices and limited marriage in California to between a man and a woman) passed with a 52.2% majority last November. Religious conservatives were the force behind this unjust and unconstitutional proposition. One of the main arguments behind their fight against gay marriage is that such a situation would go against the traditional definition of marriage and conflict with biblical teachings.



The definition of marriage has changed many times over the course of history, just look inside the Bible itself. Religious conservatives often point to Genesis, where it specifies that God created Adam and Eve. However, as we have learned so many times in Theology class, historical context is extremely important when interpreting scripture. Genesis was written by a people for whom polygamy and slavery were normal, yet our society has clearly denounced these practices as social travesties. Messages in the Bible have taken on new meaning through the passage of time, in every new age its teachings are interpreted in a different social climate. It's important to remember that the things that have not changed are the teachings of love, kindness, and tolerance.



Besides, even if religious conservatives deny this truth their argument is still flawed. There is a separation between church and state in America. The purpose of the constitution is to preserve the liberties of citizens, not the freedom granted by a certain religion. The laws of this country do not have to abide by Christian beliefs, just the principles expressed in the constitution. It is by this authority that four State Supreme Court justices of California overruled proposition 22 (passed in 2000 that denied same-sex couples the right to marry), a move that infuriated religious conservatives and caused the creation of proposition 8.



Acceptance is the mark of progress, as this nation has developed it has become a haven for those that would have experienced persecution for their beliefs elsewhere. The legalization of same-sex marriage would be a testament to the loyalty of America to its promise of hope and freedom.