Gay Marriage: Time for a Change | Teen Ink

Gay Marriage: Time for a Change

'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal'' These are the words written in the Declaration of Independence and the belief that America was founded on. Of course it's obvious that equality is not the standard that our country has always abided by in the past or the ideal that it finds itself in now. Many groups including women and African Americans have fought for equal rights in our nation's history and Gay Americans now find themselves in that same struggle.

Proposition 8 (which overturned the ruling of four State Supreme Court justices and limited marriage in California to between a man and a woman) passed with a 52.2% majority last November. Religious conservatives were the force behind this unjust and unconstitutional proposition. One of the main arguments behind their fight against gay marriage is that such a situation would go against the traditional definition of marriage and conflict with biblical teachings.

The definition of marriage has changed many times over the course of history, just look inside the Bible itself. Religious conservatives often point to Genesis, where it specifies that God created Adam and Eve. However, as we have learned so many times in Theology class, historical context is extremely important when interpreting scripture. Genesis was written by a people for whom polygamy and slavery were normal, yet our society has clearly denounced these practices as social travesties. Messages in the Bible have taken on new meaning through the passage of time, in every new age its teachings are interpreted in a different social climate. It's important to remember that the things that have not changed are the teachings of love, kindness, and tolerance.

Besides, even if religious conservatives deny this truth their argument is still flawed. There is a separation between church and state in America. The purpose of the constitution is to preserve the liberties of citizens, not the freedom granted by a certain religion. The laws of this country do not have to abide by Christian beliefs, just the principles expressed in the constitution. It is by this authority that four State Supreme Court justices of California overruled proposition 22 (passed in 2000 that denied same-sex couples the right to marry), a move that infuriated religious conservatives and caused the creation of proposition 8.

Acceptance is the mark of progress, as this nation has developed it has become a haven for those that would have experienced persecution for their beliefs elsewhere. The legalization of same-sex marriage would be a testament to the loyalty of America to its promise of hope and freedom.

pony said...
Great article. This article has made me rethink my views about gay marriage. I was originally against it but I'm reconsidering.

sensible said...
This article is well written and sensitive. I don't believe in gay marriage but I do understand that others are entitled to have their opinions and choose their own life styles without judegement, interference, or cencorship from others with opposing views.

Bear said...
Well written article. The writer is a humanitarian and should be applauded. I hope this writer contributes additional articles. I look forward to reading them.

to good2013 said...
I agree with you 100 percent! However, it is an abomination to God. He loves everyone. Even the ones who choose to live a gay lifestyle. But he does not like the lifestyle in which you choose. God put man and woman on earth to reproduce, in other words have children. Two men, nor two women can have a child together. It takes two; man and women. That is something I think you should consider looking into! Thank you!!!

Peanut said...
This is a thoughtful and inspiring article. I think the writer is very wise and heroic. Not many people put what is right above their own self interest.

cait11789 said...
dear good2013,
i don't think being gay is a sin i think god just wants us all to love eachother and get along

To good2013 said...
your comment is poppycock!!! It is a bigot. You should re-write it.

To good2013 said...
It is not right for a man to sleep with another man. It vividly says so in the Bible.

To good2013 said...
Your artical is put together very nice. However I believe you should read the Bible a little more, it will give you the best possible reason why it is wrong. It vividly says it is a sin for a man to sleep with with another man. That goes for women to.

Laurennnn PLATINUM, Sadieville, Kentucky

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people merely exist, that is all." -Oscar Wilde

Thank you. I personally am bisexual and a Christian and i believe in gay rights wholly. Great article.

goldfish682 BRONZE, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Good job, wonderful article. Clearly thought out. Your argument is basically impossible to argue against without sounding like a bigot. =] I agree completely. VERY well-written!

ModernBoredom BRONZE, Lake Forest Park, Washington
Thank you for writing this, it is hard to find many people who actively say that gay marriage is not an "abomination" as some put it. It's nice to know someone believes in the rights of ALL people, once in a while.

IRBFGW DIAMOND said...
IRBFGW DIAMOND, Cincinnati, Ohio

"Hey, assbutt!" Supernatural, Castiel.

I am for gay marriage, and i agree with this 100%. but that doesnt mean ill judge someone if they are against it. and anyway, lots of things in the Bible have been sort of allowed. Slavery was allowed in the Bible, but we dont do that. Women are supposed to be just "help mates". I'm a strong Christian, and i dont think that God would be against two people who love each other getting married. Thank you.

P.S. It does say in the Amendmints that we're not supposed to mix religon with law.

TheFitfulFire BRONZE, Houma, Louisiana
I will tell you this, I am against gay marriage. However, I am not against anyone of either gender legally binding themselves to another, be it of the same gender or the opposite sex. Know this, homosexuals should not be allowed to have Church marriages, which are for men and women. Legal "weddings" performed by justices of the peace are binding, just as a marriage is.