Marine Mammals Have a Brain and a Heart, So How Can We Help Them? | Teen Ink

Marine Mammals Have a Brain and a Heart, So How Can We Help Them?

October 25, 2016
By laurenliz BRONZE, Sacramento, California
laurenliz BRONZE, Sacramento, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Activists have been calling for the release or retirement of Orcas and other high-functioning marine mammals from greedy marine theme parks and two-faced sea aquariums for years. However, fairly recently has American pop culture focused on the unfair treatment of sea mammals once again.


With the release of the Sundance Documentary, Blackfish, it is fair to say that SeaWorld Orlando’s orca, Tilikum has become a recognizable name. Tilikum, a 35 year-old killer orca whale has lived up to more than the name of his species, having been known to have killed three people while in captivity.


By having orcas and other high-functioning marine mammals in concrete tanks perform for mass audiences in order to give corporations wealth is sinister. Do we want a world where our kids believe it is okay to capture and endanger other animals for profit? Such high-functioning animals should not be subject to entertain us, not to mention these environments commonly lead orcas to depressed immune systems, as well as physical and psychological trauma.


We can not stand by and allow corporations to walk over animals for financial investment. Orcas and other sea mammals included such as dolphins, deserve to have developed sanctuaries where they will be able to rehabilitate. Many scientists believe that sea pens are the most viable option to retire orcas, right now. Sea pens are large spaces in the ocean, most likely in a bay or a cove, that is enclosed by nets.


The proposals for sea pens by scientists and expert marine mammal trainers (some from SeaWorld itself) are aimed at providing the best care available for orcas and dolphins while giving them much more room and a much less sterile environment than the concrete tanks that SeaWorld and other aquariums use.


However, there may be another feasible option for retirement then potential release of orcas and other marine mammals from theme parks and aquariums.


Two dolphins, by the names of Misha and Tom, were rescued from captivity near the Aegean Sea by the U.K.-based Born Free Foundation, which is dedicated to the protection of animals in the wild. These two dolphins had been victims of captivity and were obviously treated with negligence from past owners.


Jeff Foster, a man who for 14 years helped capture some two dozen killer whales for SeaWorld and other marine parks from waters off the United States as well as Iceland was looking for “redemption” (Foster).  


The Born Free Foundation and Foster were hoping to retrain Misha and Tom to be released into the wild. Foster having been the most qualified, due to his experiences with having to comfort animals while they were forced into captivity, had to figure out a way where both dolphins could be released into the wild and survive on their own accord.


Foster had to retrain both dolphins to eat fish that they would see in the Aegean sea as well as train them with rigorous fitness exercises to build muscle and stamina. After twenty months of hard work, Foster and Born Free had proved that even dolphins that had suffered greatly in captivity could be taught what they needed to know to live wild again.

While, sea pens or the “re-wilding” of captive animals are both workable options for orcas and other marine mammals in captivity, I do not think either is a successful plan for SeaWorld’s orca, Tilikum. At Tilikum’s age his health is severely depleted and his psychological behavior is too weak to face the drastic change into rehabilitation or “re-wild(ment).”

However, this does not mean that sea pens or the “re-wilding” of captive animals are completely impractical possibilities for other orcas or marine mammals subject to a cruel life in captivity.

We as human beings must take a stand, to help support animals still held captive by other human beings. We must advocate and raise awareness for them through social media as well as help fundraise, so that sea pens and “re-wild(ment)” programs are more than just possibilities.


Some marine mammals still stuck in captivity today include a female orca, Lolita. Lolita was just a young calf when she was ripped away from her mother, they say she still cries for her mom. Lolita currently lives in, what is comparably a fish bowl to a killer whale, America’s smallest whale tank at Miami Seaquarium.


For more information on how to help Lolita the orca/



Works Cited


Zimmermann, Tim. "Can Captive Dolphins Return to the Wild?" National Geographic, n.d. Web.


Ziv, Stav. "How to Retire a Captive Orca." Newsweek. Newsweek. N.p., 01 May 2016. Web. 21
Oct. 2016.


The author's comments:

Lauren is a devoted student, social activist, as well as a outspoken spoken word artist.