Purity in a World Ruled by Hate | Teen Ink

Purity in a World Ruled by Hate

By Aude GOLD, Ouagadougou, Other
Aude GOLD, Ouagadougou, Other

Nowadays, the world have become a battlefield ruled by hate and violence, where the weaker people are oppressed by the stronger ones. In today’s society where physical beauty is more considered, purity is neglected and referred to as a sign of weakness and insanity. But is purity synonym of stupidity? The answers to this question are controversial.

Purity is the most important attribute one can have. Pure people are those courageous people who dared to defy today’s society’s mistaken perspective of strength through their character. They are the kind-hearted ones who give generously without counting, the pacific ones who do not harbor any bad feeling or insane thought, the humble ones who acknowledge their mistakes. Such people are admirable because they conserved their tenderness despite the world’s harshness. But purity may arouse both admiration and stereotypes.

Pure people are different in both their character and acts. This difference may be the source of misguided and sometimes cruel judgements. Their kindness is perceived as foolishness, their sensitivity as weakness, and their integrity as a crime. They are forced to endure dire sufferings because of their golden heart. Let’s consider the example of Atticus in the book “To Kill A Mockingbird” written by Harper Lee. Atticus was a righteous person. His kindness induced him to help financially those whom he knew could not pay him back such as Mr Cunningham. His sensitivity helped him understand with empathy the people set apart by the society such as Boo Radley. His integrity impelled him to defend the people who are oppressed and accused unfairly by the society such as Tom Robinson, a black man. These acts, although admirable were negatively interpreted by Atticus’s relatives. Some qualified them as foolish, others as insane, and others again as shameful. This situation of Atticus being judged and criticized because of his righteousness is evidence of today’s world’s strong aversion for purity.

Contrarily to what the majority of people think, purity is a sign of strength, not weakness, wisdom, not foolishness. They have the kindness of children and the maturity of grown-ups. Let’s continue with the example of Atticus. After the trial where he stood up for Tom Robinson, Atticus was attacked by Mr Ewell who spat on him and beated him. He could have requested the arrestation of this last one for having aggressed him, a lawyer. Instead, he just forgave Mr Ewell his enemy and ignored his cruel act. Pure people such as Atticus possess a deep understanding of the world, which gives them the wisdom to not seek revenge and the strength to forgive those who hurt them. This constitute their inner beauty.

Pure people are capable of great accomplishments. Their sensitivity, kindness and integrity are the most powerful weapons they have against the world’s harshness. As Nelson Mandela once said, “education is most powerful weapon which we can use to change the world”. In our case, educating people’s minds about the dangers of hate and instilling in them spiritual values such as tenderness, wisdom, and kindness is the only solution to wars and injustices scattered all around the world. Pure people are smarter than they appear and more beautiful than they look. They are inspirational because of their determination in conserving their personality despite today’s world hate and violence. Yes, pure people can change the world because the power stored in their hearts is stronger than an army made up of one thousand soldiers.