The Other Side of the COin: Truths About Creationism | Teen Ink

The Other Side of the COin: Truths About Creationism

By clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee
clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee

"All daring starts from within." -Eudora Welty

Try to imagine that, millions of years ago, small particles hit together and collided, spinning out of control, till BANG- they created multiple solar systems, stars, and planets. Does that sound reasonable? I think not. What kind of person would believe that? There are many scientists who devote their lives to trying to prove this so-called “fact”, but, of course, have not been able to. Even though there is no real proof, the Big Bang Theory has been taught in schools for quite along with evolution, which also has no solid proof. However, they are only telling one side of the story. In many schools today, evolution and the Big Bang Theory are taught to students, while Creationism is left for "church only". That is not fair. Creationism should be taught in public schools as well.

To begin with, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? First, consider evolution. Scientifically speaking, simple life-forms cannot evolve into “more complex life-forms” (Problems), therefore, man could not have possibly come from apes. Also, if man came from monkeys, then why are there still monkeys? Some evolutionists answer this question by saying “Survival of the fittest”. However, that does not account for the weaker apes that are still living on earth. If they were to follow this “survival of the fittest” theory, then they should have died long ago, when man first appeared. In Mark 10:6, the Bible says, “But from the beginning of the creation, God made them male and female,” thus proving without a doubt that God created man.

Then, of course, there is the Big Bang Theory. There is not a single scientific law or demonstration that can be preformed that supports the “something from nothing” theory. How could two small particles hit together to create the universe and all the life in it, when, technically speaking, those two particles had not even been created yet? “Design demands a designer” (Wood), and it is as simple as that. Take for example the position of the earth. If it was just a little closer to the sun, everything on it would burn up. If it was just a little farther away, we would all freeze (Wood). Also, Earth is the only planet with free oxygen and water in its liquid form (Wood). In other words, our planet is the only one in our solar system capable of sustaining life. How could that have happened by chance? In Genesis 1:1, the Bible says, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth,” so, only God could have done so.

Also, creationism should be taught in public schools because, according to the Bible, God created the earth (Gen. 1:1). So, why would anyone teach anything else? Of course, there are those out there who question the fact that the Bible is God’s written word. They say that it is nothing but a book written by a bunch of different men. The Bible is made up of sixty six books- thirty nine in the Old Testament and twenty seven in the New- written over a time span of 2,000 years, on three different continents (Asia, Europe, and Africa), in three different languages (Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic), however, there are no contradictions. This could only be the work of an all-powerful being. And so it was. II Timothy 3:16 says, “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God…”. So, basically, God told the writers what to say. He inspired them.

What proof is there that the Bible was inspired by God? To begin with, in Leviticus 17:11a, Moses said that, “For the life of the flesh is in the blood…”, yet this fact was unknown even in George Washington’s day (Thompson). People would use leeches to bleed out supposed ‘bad blood’ to help the sick get well. So, how did Moses know? Secondly, in Ecclesiastes 11:3a and Amos 9:6b, the writers both refer to rain falling from the clouds, but the water cycle was not completely accepted or understood until the 16th century. Pierre Perrault, Edme Marriot, and Edmund Halley all made discoveries on and added data to the idea of a complete water cycle. However, the Bible indicated a water cycle 2,000 years before their discoveries (Thompson). Next, in Job26:7, Job says that the Lord “hangs the earth on nothing.” Back in Job’s day, people had different beliefs on what kept the earth suspended in space, such as four elephants on a giant turtle, or the shoulders of an abnormally strong man. Job was way ahead of his time by suggesting that the earth “hung on nothing” (Thompson) (Job 26:7). How could he have known when everyone else was wrong? And finally, in I Corinthians 15:39, the apostle Paul says, “All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.” Paul is right! All four of these fleshes have a different biochemical makeup (Thompson). But how did he know? All of these situations point to one solution: God told the men what to write. Therefore, there is no possible way that the Bible could be made up by men because of the advanced sciences used in it. Given the sufficient evidence, Creationism should be presented alongside other theories of creation.

There are those in this world who say that allowing creationism to be taught in schools is a breech on their First Amendment rights. The First Amendment states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…”, however, this does not mean that it is against the law to say “One nation, under God,” in the Pledge of Allegiance, print, “In God we trust,” on money, or teach creationism to students in school. It merely is saying that the Government will not make an established religion. One can believe in and worship anything or anyone they want. But, men can preach and teach about their religion to others. It is only fair.

In addition, the First Amendment was added by the founding fathers to keep the church from controlling the government, and they had good reason to be fearful of this. “Early settlers” in America wanted religious liberty; however, they refused to grant it to others (Gay). They set up the Anglican Church as the main religion (Gay). Others set up their own churches, but, they still had to pay taxes for the maintenance of the Anglican Church, even though they did not attend there (Gay). Laws demanded people to attend church (Gay), and if they did not, they could be fined, and even imprisoned. Other rules covered clothing, business conduct, education, and recreation (Gay). “Only members of the… established religion were allowed to vote (Gay)”. It is no wonder James Madison was careful about how much control the church would receive. All in all, separation of church and state was established to keep government control in the proper hands, not to forbid the teaching of creationism.

In conclusion, creationism should be taught in public schools because, even though some say it cannot be proven, it is the most reasonable solution to the creation of the world, and, if evolution and the Big Bang Theory can be taught, why not creationism? It has not been proved either. If schools are going to teach unproven theories, then why not add creationism to the list? One might as well tell both sides of the story if they are going to tell it at all. Besides, if Evolutionists are so sure that man came from monkeys, then what are they afraid of?

Bibliography
“Evolution.” The American Colledge Dictionary. 1964.
Gay, Kathlyn. CHurch and State. Brookfield: The Millbrook Press, 1992.
The History of Man. Sanford: Riebers.
The Holy Bible, New King James Version. Thomas Nelson, Inc., 1982.
Isaak, Mark. “Five major misconceptions about Evolution.” Talkorigins.org. 1 Oct. 2003. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-misconceptions.html>.
McIntosh, Kenneth, and Marsha McIntosh. Issues of Church, State, and Religious Liberties. Broomal: Mason Crest Publishers, Inc., 2006.
“Problems for atheistic evolutionists.” Creationtips.com. 10 Nov. 2008. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.creationtips.com/evoluwrong.html>.
The Reality of God. Sanford: Riebers.
Roberts, Hill. The Second Law of Thermodynamics. 1986.
Suggs, Bill. “When did the U.S. Government pass a law dictating the separation of church and state? Where can this law be found?” Christiananswers.net. 18 Jan. 2009 <http://www.christiananswers.net/q-wall/wal-g004.html>.
Thompson, Bert. Scientific Evidences of the Bible’s Inspiration. Montgomery: Apologetics Press, Inc., 1981.
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

Works Cited
Wood, James. We Believe. 2005.

did i say creationsim was proven? no. i said it should be taught alongside evolution since neither are proven (THEORIES).

not only do you not read, you didn't even read my paper. how can you criticize what i believe if you dont know? you obviously just jumped to conclusions. and it made you look stupid.

startrekfan said...
how many ways can i say that the bible hasnt peen proven either. and DO SOME RESEARCH!!! evoloution has been proven

wow great 3 reasons. none of those are valid. they arent facts. they are false. how many ways can i say this?

evolution has not been proven. if it had, it would be a LAW not a THEORY.

startrekfan said...

1. ITS BEEN PROVEN

2. ITS BEEN RE-PROVEN

3. ITS BEEN PROVEN AGAIN!!!

not mental evolution... its simply progress. our minds arent getting smarter... we just know more than we did in the 1500s because time has passed. the longer humans ae around, the more time we have to discover things. mental evolution? thats a laugh. go read a book. learn some stuff.

startrekfan said...
not only do we have proof of human evoloution, but we have proof of evoloution in animals too. granted, nobody actually saw evoloution take place because it happens so gradually. think about it. you are surrounded by electronic devices. do you think that people would have been able to create these things 1000 years ago? this is only one example of mental evoloution.

give me 3 good reasons why its not stupid. and you cant used unjustifiable facts (oh wait. you cant use anything then)

startrekfan said...

ok long extinct primate similar to the modern chimpanzee.

if you're going to call evoloution stupid, you better have proof

hey thanks! the info is great. just more pieces of evidence to add to the winning side :)

Monte, that is the definition of science. Science is all about observing. Though I agree with your comment that science, especially now is biased.

Monte, that is the definition of science. Science is all about observing. Though I agree with your comment that science, especially now is biased. Most in the US are atheists, so of coure they are going to try to find stuff that agree with they're way of life, even though most things in the evolution theory has been proven false.

I beleive in creationism ('cause im a christain), but I disagree with what you posted here. Science can't prove anything because scientists collect data supporting there theory. A scientist can spend 80 years collecting data that supported there (by now a full blown theory), then find one small speck of data that says otherwise. Then, Kapish. Thats the end.

I really like this article. Good job, keep writing, and always floss after you brush.

Hey, clumsy, look up on your computer gnmagazine and then behind that the Bible and Archaeology. Click on the website that says The Bible and Archaeology series. It will come up with links and you can look through them. They have evidence that Archaeology supports what's written in the Bible.

Your so very welcome! You deserve it. I can tell you stuck to what you believe. Oh, and happy Easter!

Lol! clumsy_one123 you got it right again, but they make it so easy. Read the Bible, that is the only creation theory.

thank you :) and thank you for all your comments. i agree whole-heartedly

no sorry, but there is only one "form" of creationism. its hard to make more than one form of it since it's written down in this little thing we call the BIble.

MrNathanXD BRONZE, Hemet, California

Only that in you which is me can hear what im saying. - Ram Dass
I am who I am because of what I am. I am what I am, because who I am. -Mr.Nathan Wilson

Well, to "challenge" this, what kind of creationalism would the schools teach? There are hundreds of different religions based of creationalism. I believe, yes, it is a good idea to teach both sides of creationalism and the theory of evolution.

I think the reason why they teach evolution is- its one theory. As to Creationalism has multitudes. I dont really support either, when we grow to the age in which we can start to think for ourselves. THATS when evolution or creationalism should be taught. On top of that, we (the students :D) should have the choice. Not have anything more oppresed onto us. :/

And another thing I find wrong about the Evolution theory is, look at the definition of theory. It says a theory is based on observations.

Since when has evolution been observed to happen! Nobody has observed any animal turning into something else or a monkey turning into a human, so its not even a theory, just an assumption.

If the Evolution Theory is a scientific fact, why is it still called a theory.

Here is the definiton of theory from dictionary.come: noun a theory that explains scientific observations; "scientific theories must be falsifiable"

It says a scientific theory must be falsifiable, which means it can still be proven false. Therefor evolution is not a fact and needs to stop being taught as such.