Jesus who? | Teen Ink

Jesus who?

April 6, 2010
By fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other
fiction77 BRONZE, St. John&#39s, Other
2 articles 0 photos 13 comments

Favorite Quote:
Lionel Hutz: This is the greatest case of false advertising I’ve seen since I sued the end of the movie “The Never Ending Story.”


The Darwin awards or the Bibile? Creationism or Evolution? Which book does modern youth enjoy more? Which theory do they believe in and respect? Modern youth are following a general trend toward science and technology and away from the holy trinity. The technology wave has created things such as the ipod and insulin whereas religion, more specifically the Chatholic church, has remained obsolete and has not evolved from what it once was. Science has also answered age old questions that religioned never dared fathom such as the history of the world and the human genetic code. Religion is based on the fact that an omnipotent and benevolent being is watching over us and knows the answers to everything in the world. Science has proved the existance of DNA whereas Catholics are content to believe in God, who is debatably a fictional character. Youth of our era would rather spend a morning in front of the computer then in church. Is this a bad thing?
Although science has advanced our society beyong imagine it is also the source of most of our trouble. Science has devided the world. Everhyone is connected but only a rare few are really together. Today's generation comunicates through email and electronics whereas religion promotes unity in person. Science has ripped nations apart with the creation of weapons whereas religion promotes the old saying : do unto others as you would have them do unto you. The Catholic church promotes faith and accountability towards God. Science promotes progress with an optional consideration for ethics and morals. Science is cool and dangerous. Religion is old and boring. Youth love science and find religion dull. Can you blame them?


The author's comments:
I'm reading the book Angels and Demons by Dan Brown and there is a strong religion vs science undertone. This prompted me to write this.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 107 comments.


on Aug. 1 2011 at 2:42 pm
lyanndriel SILVER,
5 articles 0 photos 39 comments

The fact that the odds of another universe out there just like ours is phenomenal, and points to God...He truly is amazing!! Just the fact that we have the right consistency of oxygen to breathe in this atmosphere (if it was only slightly changed, we'd be dead) screams that there's something out there way beyond our comprehension.

 Check out the book Why the Universe Is the Way It Is


on Aug. 1 2011 at 2:36 pm
lyanndriel SILVER,
5 articles 0 photos 39 comments

I think God isn't judgemental. He is the truth, He knows it, and He says it in the Bible when He confronted things that weren't right. Hate the sin but love the sinner. "For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that came by Jesus Christ." -Romans 3:23-24

We Christians are by no means perfect.

..but we have a perfect Savior who died to save anybody--NO exclusions whatsoever--who will believe on Him! That's great news & a promise of God's love that I will continually live by. I owe my life to Him.


on Aug. 1 2011 at 2:28 pm
lyanndriel SILVER,
5 articles 0 photos 39 comments
You know, in all of this I just thought of something kinda plain and silly in its plainess: If we could fully understand God, He wouldn't be God, would He?

on Jul. 26 2011 at 2:44 am
Musicfeedsthesoul07 PLATINUM, Naperville, Illinois
25 articles 0 photos 95 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Be nice to nerds. Chances are you'll end up working for one. " - Bill Gates

I love this website you've linked!! 

 

A lot of the arguments here would be completely eradicated if they checked this out!!! 


on Jun. 29 2011 at 10:20 am
teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 151 comments

Favorite Quote:
We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

Guys, leave HisPurePrincess alone. She has her beliefs, you have yours. I personally don't believe in God, but does that mean I have to get on her case and be rude to her about it? No! Athiests are just as  "bad" as Christians with the whole "your religion is wrong" stuff, and it's people like you that turn polite discussions into heated arguments, so please, respect her and her beliefs.

rockyraccoon said...
on Jun. 17 2011 at 8:32 pm
rockyraccoon, Fort Wayne, Indiana
0 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
today tommorow next month next year all look remarkably gray.

this is a tad silly if you have ever ever opened a history book you might have noticed that almost every bad war or such was caused by religion especially cathlicism. Although i guess you have a sort of point with texting and emailing person to person conversations have decreased.

on Jun. 10 2011 at 10:22 am
Contemplator SILVER, Lake Park, Minnesota
5 articles 0 photos 67 comments

Favorite Quote:
There is a rainbow in your mouth! Open it up and show the world.
This is just like ice cream without the cream.
I'm as stiff as a dried out twig in the middle of winter.
Who lit the forest fire; the match, or the man holding the match?

I would like to know who you consider 'weak minded'. I would also like to know why science created by God would corrupt them.

on May. 15 2011 at 11:44 pm
You hate, therefore you don't understand. Good bye; I hope God has mercy for you in the afterlife. 'Cause you NEVER have an excuse to know Him. 

on May. 13 2011 at 1:11 pm
blues_are.still_blue BRONZE, Southampton, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 109 comments

Favorite Quote:
This sentence is false.
- Unknown

You have a very fundamental misunderstanding of what the word "atheist" means. It means that i DO NOT BELIEVE A GOD EXISTS. How would i hate something that i don't think exists? If it makes you feel better to pretend that i'm "angry at god". then go ahead, but it won't cover up the fact that you do not have an argument; only empty words. And please, feel free to "leave the debate". Just realize that it will mean something quite different to me than to you.

on May. 13 2011 at 8:37 am

Blues, why do hate God so much that you think He is not real? Isn't nature proof of God's existence? I believe atoms and other sciencey stuff had to come from something. I believe that they come from God. That's the only logic I can come up with. 

P.S.- If I leave this debate at any time, I know I won. More precisely God will win, you can't defeat Him. Even if you try, you can't win.  


on May. 13 2011 at 8:32 am
Dan Brown is a good writer, but I find his work completely fictional. Stop dwelling in your fantasy of secularism and start thinking about life. If God created science, then why does science corrupt the weak minded?

on May. 13 2011 at 8:30 am
"And they that walk the way of darkness shall dwell in darkness. For their thoughts are darkend with evil understanding; for they do not know what they do. Since they know no light."  ~Me

on May. 11 2011 at 3:00 pm
blues_are.still_blue BRONZE, Southampton, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 109 comments

Favorite Quote:
This sentence is false.
- Unknown

strawman" means that you aren't focusing on the key issues of my point, and instead you pick out insignificant details that don't really change the main idea.

Show me one article from a respected scientific journal that says that astrolopithicus isn't valid evidence of evolution.

Here is a condensed list of all known transitional forms. http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-transitional.html

 


on May. 11 2011 at 2:54 pm
blues_are.still_blue BRONZE, Southampton, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 109 comments

Favorite Quote:
This sentence is false.
- Unknown

i do not call bits and pieces of the bible a myth. I assert that the large majority of it is a myth. The reason for this is because people have failed to show any evidence to support its claims. Especially scientific ones. On the other hand, evolution has mountains of tested evidence. Whether you want to call it a myth or not is up to you, but the facts speak for themselves. 

Show me non-biblical scientific evidence of biblical creation and i'll believe you.


on May. 11 2011 at 12:23 pm

I would be a hypocrite if I didn't read the bible. My second paragraph was towards the article, not you.

You take out bits and peaces out of the Bible and call it myth, when I can just as easily call it super-natural and evolution a myth. I did not associate atheism with droids. I did the opposite. I said 'Owning droids doesnt mean rejecting God'. As I have said above, the second paragraph was not towards you.


on May. 11 2011 at 11:59 am

The Bible is God inspired. They (the authors) wrote for the Glory of God. God spoke to Moses (author of Genisis) about the begining. So, God is the author. Sorry I said 'created'. That was a careless mistake. But the 'chance' part wasn't. You are saying that nobody has free-will, it all happened by chance. Also, I don't know what 'Strawman' means. I am quite heavy for my age.

I agree with you that my second paragraph holds no merit. But there isn't any existing knowledge. I know that alot of paleontologists (both evolutionists and creationists) argue that most fossils found are not cave-man but some other kind of animal. If evolution is true, why aren't there intermediate links? I know that Australopithecus afarensis is considered an intermediate link, but after more research, it was shown that Australopithecus afarensis is actually an ape. I don't know how to aswer your last question properly, but micro-evolution is a scientific law where as macro-evolution is not. I don't beleive evolution is true for many reasons and one of them is the lack of evidence.


on May. 10 2011 at 9:44 pm
blues_are.still_blue BRONZE, Southampton, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 109 comments

Favorite Quote:
This sentence is false.
- Unknown

What the bible "has to say about science"? Are you kidding me? What aspect of the biblical creation myth, walking on water, and ressurction, matches up with factual scientific (or even historical) knowledge? Also i don't get why you associate atheism with "droids' and playing on computers, but i fully take that as an unvalidated assertion. Show me some stats that say that atheists are more likely to "play on computers".

PS: I HAVE read the bible. Have you?


on May. 10 2011 at 9:41 pm
blues_are.still_blue BRONZE, Southampton, Pennsylvania
3 articles 0 photos 109 comments

Favorite Quote:
This sentence is false.
- Unknown

since when is the bible written by god? you should at least know basic facts about your own religion. And no where did i say that the universe was "created by chance". First of all, i don't think it was "created" and second, i think it was chance because chance is everything. Even according to the god hypothesis, god created the universe by "chance", since he could have chosen not to. Your use of the word "chance" holds no argumentative meaning. So lose the Strawman approach and find a real argument.

In your second paragraph, you smush two separate things together. The boar tooth was obviously a fake (and no modern evolutionist insists that it's real, so i don't know why you think this holds any merit...), but that doesn't cancel out all other existing knowledge. Macro-evolution is a creationist-invented term. Macro-evolution, by definition, is just micro-evolution, but longer. If small changes happen over small amts of time, then why is it so unfeasible that large changes would occur over large amts of time?


on May. 9 2011 at 11:52 pm

Exactly what evidence do you have to make the ludicrous impliment that this entire universe was created by chance? We have a big book written by the creator himself.

Your aruguement has no grounds to stand on. You can't tell us that that macro-evolution is real because a scientist who neglects all other theories proved that it is real because it found the tooth of a cave-man! (Also, that tooth was later recognised as a boar's tooth).


on Apr. 28 2011 at 12:20 am

I'm a teen and I love going to church. I don't think church is dull at all and whenever I'm there and I'm singing hymn's such as "Amazing Grace" and "This Little Light of Mine" I can feel the full power of God's love.

I live in the South and most kids down here still go to church. Religion has instilled morals in us and will always be apart of our society despite if you like it or not.

Our Pledge, the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and our national motto, all of this inspired by religion.