Prayer Ought to be in Schools | Teen Ink

Prayer Ought to be in Schools MAG

November 24, 2010
By GodChick BRONZE, Leander, Texas
GodChick BRONZE, Leander, Texas
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"900 years of time and space and I've never met anybody who isn't important." - The Doctor


Prayer has always been part of the culture of the United States of America, its people, and its foundation. George Washington himself was a devout Christian, as were most of the founding fathers. The hand of God directed the Bill of Rights and the U.S. Constitution. Christianity found its way into the very heart of our nation and remained the pulse of this country until 1962.

That year was one of tragedy, opposition, and downfall for young people in America. That year the Supreme Court prohibited prayer in schools. Ironically, the Supreme Court judges struck prayer from our nation's educational system in the same building where the Ten Commandments were hanging. They destroyed this part of our heritage, threw it away like a used scrap of paper, considered it useless in the present day. Yet, our president prays in the Oval Office.

Since 1962 young people in America have been in a downward spiral with nothing to catch them. They have nothing to cling to, no set of guiding morals, nothing to tell them the difference ­between right and wrong. Nothing to believe in; no ­foundation and no comfort for the agitated soul. Instead of upholding our Constitution, the Supreme Court ­destroyed it.

“It cannot be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation was founded, not by religionists, but by Christians; not on religions, but on the gospel of Jesus Christ,” said Patrick Henry, a founding father and signer of the Constitution. Our country was founded on Christianity. That Christianity ought not to be taken from us.

Indeed, James Madison, our fourth president, said: “Cursed be all that learning that is contrary to the cross of Christ.” He would never have approved of the 1962 ruling of the Supreme Court – in fact, he would have cursed it. If our founders were here today, they would be putting their feet down and changing the United States back to the way it should be. The Ten Commandments would be hung in schools, prayer would be reestablished in the schoolhouse, and our government's ways would be corrected.

John Hancock, the first signer of Declaration of Independence, said: “Continue steadfast and, with a proper sense of your dependence on God, nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us.” God guided the fathers to give us the right of prayer – prayer in schools, prayer in public, and prayer everywhere. We have instead succumbed to the broken ways of the world and obliterated the words of not only our founders but God as well.

With God – the Creator of the universe, Savior of sinners, the Prince of Peace, the Shepherd of all mankind – I will uphold John Hancock's words and “nobly defend those rights which heaven gave, and no man ought to take from us”!


The author's comments:
Christianity was the basis for our nation, the guideline for our US Constitution and the Declartion of Independence. No one can deny with amazing truth. Yet, our nation has slipped away from this and instead into a state in which Christianity is denied, and even persecuted at times. Jesus Christ is the Lord God Almighty, the One and Only Savior of our broken world. He gives us a way to be saved, yet even our government, which was first a Christian-based system, has changed into a corrupt system where even prayer in schools is not allowed.
Pray for our broken world.

Similar Articles

JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 59 comments.


on Jan. 8 2014 at 9:38 am
writinggurl SILVER, Easley, South Carolina
8 articles 0 photos 14 comments
What if people old you to take you opinions somewhere else? ( I would not do that) but I mean teachers and school are allowed to teach evolution which i dont believe in but still have to listen to. Why is it a big deal if I pray in school? If you and others are allowed to denounce God and Jesus then I am allowed to announce God and Jesus just as much as you are!

on Jan. 8 2014 at 9:34 am
writinggurl SILVER, Easley, South Carolina
8 articles 0 photos 14 comments
HOW!!!! Our country was founded on Christian fundementals! People fight over sees for our freedom. Saying the pledge is the least we can do to thank them!!!!!

on Jan. 8 2014 at 9:32 am
writinggurl SILVER, Easley, South Carolina
8 articles 0 photos 14 comments
That is the whole reason people traveled over to America on the Mayflower was for freedom of relegion. This country was and is founded on Christian fundementals. 

on Oct. 5 2013 at 1:07 pm
TimexxFlies GOLD, Sunland, California
16 articles 0 photos 44 comments

Favorite Quote:
I don't know the key to success. However, the key to failure is trying to please everybody. ~Bill Cosby

Yes. It's all prayer

on Feb. 14 2013 at 5:56 pm
Aramis_999 PLATINUM, Matthews, North Carolina
25 articles 0 photos 54 comments

Favorite Quote:
Be strong, believe in freedom and in God, love yourself, understand your sexuality, have a sense of humor, don’t judge people by their religion, color or sexual habits, love life and your family. -Madonna

Would you feel the same way if I wanted to start Islamic and Jewish prares? 

kmeep GOLD said...
on Jan. 10 2013 at 2:46 pm
kmeep GOLD, Woodbury, New Jersey
17 articles 2 photos 62 comments

Favorite Quote:
If you can't laugh at yourself, laugh at other people.
-Tim Hawkins

This article is so true.

on Nov. 13 2012 at 7:06 pm
RiverSong BRONZE, Baltimore, Maryland
3 articles 0 photos 100 comments
There is absolutely nothing in the Constitution that suggests that the founding fathers intended this country to be Christian. In fact, it is the opposite: they intended this country to have freedom of the religion. As in, don't force prayer on kids in a government-funded school. No one's stopping you from praying on your own, but if you want school-sponsored prayer, I suggest you uphold the Constitution and go to a private school.

deathward22 said...
on Oct. 17 2012 at 10:43 pm
deathward22, Los Alamos, New Mexico
0 articles 0 photos 42 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first." mark twain

most founding fathers were deists, who believed in a creator but believed the creator kinda just left the earth alone so they would not change a thing. Why would they want prayer in school to a god that, in their mind, wouldn't even care?

ahlisten said...
on Sep. 18 2012 at 12:40 pm
ahlisten, Fountain Hills, Arizona
0 articles 0 photos 2 comments
If we're going to say prayers in school, I believe we should say prayers from every religion. Which would take much longer than one school day alone, so May we should just stop learning things that may benefit us and just spend our school days being brainwashed by all different beliefs. I feel that's only reasonable.

on Jun. 30 2012 at 12:18 am
WaterWatcher SILVER, Houston, Texas
9 articles 0 photos 27 comments

Favorite Quote:
Good things don't just happen to those that wait but to those that do.

It's commpon for people to not remember that for one religions prayer to be allowed in school all religious prayers must be allowed. So not only should there be a bible but there should be a quran and the other book(forgot the name) present in the hallsnof the government. Which is why I understand why they can't have religion in schools, i t would cause too many complications. So if you can't deal you delete. It's common knowledge. I hope you keep writing because if I don' tagree with you you have an excelently written essay.

Muharib said...
on May. 5 2012 at 9:51 pm
who ever said "everyone will be forced to pray"?

on Apr. 24 2012 at 2:11 pm
TerraAnimusPatronus BRONZE, Eden, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
«You are either the best kept secret or just surrounded by blind people.»

sorry for misspellings

on Apr. 24 2012 at 2:09 pm
TerraAnimusPatronus BRONZE, Eden, North Carolina
1 article 0 photos 61 comments

Favorite Quote:
«You are either the best kept secret or just surrounded by blind people.»

I believe in compromise so why cant we have a moment of scilence where you can pray to what ever god or gods you believe in or if you are nonspiritual you can just sit there i dont understand why we cant just do that everyone is happy then to have a better world we must all learn to live with each other and not fight about whatever religon you believe in and just love each other a human beings

on Apr. 24 2012 at 7:45 am
CyberLydii GOLD, Dearborn Heights, Michigan
11 articles 0 photos 24 comments

With all due respect, I feel that you are wrong. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinions. I feel that religious people should be allowed to pray, but those who aren't shouldn't be forced to.

 


wi234 said...
on Feb. 25 2012 at 8:06 am
wi234, Boston, Massachusetts
0 articles 0 photos 18 comments
this is a total violation of seperation of church and state. being in a democracy means you can have whatever ideas you want.

on Feb. 19 2012 at 7:47 pm
DivingForRoses, Dickson, Tennessee
0 articles 0 photos 6 comments
I absolutely agree with you, RiverSong. As an atheist, nothing annoys me more than the myth that people need religious text to have moral standards. I'm considered a stand-up member of my school and local community without religion, which is a difficult status to acheive in any small town in Tennessee. And to BlueRain, yes, many of the founders of our government were Deists. They rejected Bible verses for many of our documents because of their firm belief in religious freedom for all.

Aislinn99 GOLD said...
on Feb. 9 2012 at 11:29 am
Aislinn99 GOLD, Jacksonville, Illinois
10 articles 1 photo 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I'm intimidated by the fear of being average."-Taylor Swift

"No Matter How Hard Your Rock Bottom Is You Can Rise Above It."- Demi Lovato

“Your lucky enough to be different, never change” -Taylor Swift

Our country was practically founded on freedom of religion! You should be able to believe what we want.That is why I don't stand for the pledge of allegiance anymore their (The government) Is making things Christian.I am a Christian kind of and I still DO NOT agree with you at all!

on Jan. 10 2012 at 1:06 am
AHandfulOfDust BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas
1 article 0 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
Reading is one form of escape. Running for your life is another.
~Lemony Snicket

Very kind, but keep your blessing for yourself. You might need it when your God wants an explanation for this lack of charity towards your fellow man. "Stupid" isn't a very nice thing to call other people.

GodlyForce33 said...
on Jan. 5 2012 at 7:03 pm
You are all stupid who disagreed with this. Corruption is happening in our government and you all agree with it. Our government is changing to please everyone. It is based on Christianity and we should not change our religion for immigrants. Our money says "in God we trust" which is becoming more and more fake. All you critics better jump on the Christianity train or get out of the way because something big and powerful is going to happen by Jesus Christ and all the people in the government who denied Him will be scorned. Christianity is about to sweep the world and i guarantee that everything that opposes Him will come crumbling down to the ground. God Bless

on Jan. 5 2012 at 11:34 am
A_Fate_Unknown BRONZE, Enumclaw, Washington
2 articles 0 photos 152 comments

Favorite Quote:
Those who make peacefull revolution impossible, Will make violent Revolution inevitable.

Go to a christian school if it bothers you that much.