The Bible and Telephone | Teen Ink

The Bible and Telephone

By Contemplator SILVER, Lake Park, Minnesota
Contemplator SILVER, Lake Park, Minnesota

There is a rainbow in your mouth! Open it up and show the world.
This is just like ice cream without the cream.
I'm as stiff as a dried out twig in the middle of winter.
Who lit the forest fire; the match, or the man holding the match?

The Bible, the book of Christians and Jews, is the most powerful book in all time. It has brought tears to men's eyes. It has brought Kings down to their knees in reverence to the Lord. I am tempted to say that it has started wars, though that is incorrect. Which starts the forest fire? The match or the man holding the match? Same goes for the Bible, which is why it is so powerful. Another reason the Bible is so powerful is that the Lord our God is the divine author. He is the reason why we study the book. It is his Word and deserves our complete attention.

The Bible is divided into two parts: the Old Testament, which talks of the history and prophesies leading up to the birth of Christ; the New Testament, which talks of Jesus' life and how he saved us. These two parts if the Bible are consistent and are both inspired by God. Despite the clarity of these Testaments, many people doubt their accuracy. These same people compare it to a child's game called “Telephone”. Why do these people say such things? Because the Bible says we are sinful; because it says that God will judge us for our sins; because the Bible tells the Truth. These people do their best to prove the Bible inaccurate. They make assumptions and call that truth. They take anything they find similar to the history of the Bible, such as the game Telephone, and call it common sense. In this article, I will show you how absurd it is to say that the inspired word of God is a gigantic game of Telephone. I will also try to convince you that the Word of God is indeed the Truth.

The Old Testament books were written by kings, prophets, and leaders. About 800 years separated the first author (Moses) and the last author (Malachi), yet the books are completely consistent with each other. How can this be? The Lord spoke to them, and guided them to write His Word. David wrote of personal experiences, Moses wrote the beginning history of Jews and mankind, and wise King Solomon wrote of love. These books and others are the sacred books of the Jews (and Christians). The priests memorized each verse by heart, and diligently studied it their whole life.

The New Testament books were written by fishermen, tent-makers, tax- collectors, and even a doctor. Some of them were the disciples of Jesus, others became his disciples after he went back home to heaven. Christians savored the words of Christ. They memorized it with their hearts and minds. They went out and preached the Gospel, over and over again. Preachers and missionaries shouted the Word of God to people. Monks painstakingly copied the Gospel on parchment. If they made one mistake, those monks immediately destroyed that page. Throughout history, the Bible has been told from teacher to pupil, father to son, pastor to congregation. Jesus' message lived on through the devout.

A great example for the unchanged Word is the Dead Sea scrolls. They were discovered in caves near the shore of the Dead Sea by a man named Muhammad edh- Dhib and his cousin. These scrolls date back to about 250 B.C - 65A.D. These scrolls have parts and whole books of the old testament, with the exception of Esther. There are also other non-biblical books. After translating the scrolls, archeologists have found that the present day copy of the Bible matches the scrolls with minor spelling differences and punctuation. How some skeptics ignore these facts are beyond me. Some how, the Telephone idea is still tangible. I hope I can bash this idea once and for all.

In the simple game of telephone, a child whispers into the ear of another child a phrase he or she thought up. That child then turns around to the next child and whispers what he heard. It goes around in a circle ending back with the child who started the game. Then he says aloud what he heard and what he originally said. Through out the game, a child is only able to say the phrase once. How a person can say that the history of the Bible is a very large example of this game is absolutely ludicrous.

1) The Christians did not whisper the Gospel. They spoke out loud. It is hard to make out clearly what one is saying when one whispers! This is common sense! In telephone, a person whispers it so no one else can hear you.

2) Christians did not say the Word of God only once. They repeated to themselves, over and over what happened. Why would a Christian say it only once? Not only did they say it, they sang it! In telephone, a person said the phrase once to make it harder for the listener to know what he said.

3) Christians don't tell one person at a time the content of the Bible. They tell whole congregations, countries, as well as the individual person. In telephone, the person tells only one other person the phrase so it can change. That is the fun of the game.

If you changed the game Telephone to match the history of the Bible, you will find that each time, the phrase comes out unchanged, and unaltered. So, to say the reliability of the Bible is untrustworthy because (like that game Telephone) it changed over time, is one giant lie. The Bible is considered the most reliable book on ancient historical events. You can cross-reference the Bible with other sources. A good example is Flavius Josephus. A historian who lived in Jesus' time. Josephus mentioned Jesus twice. This is important because a lot of people don’t even believe that Jesus existed. A good website to visit on this matter is www.tektonics.org/jesusexists/josephus.html. Here they debate fairly on the authenticity of Josephus' writing.

I gave a few out the many reasons why the Bible is authentic, and how it is not like the game Telephone. When you read the Bible, keep in mind how hard people worked to keep God’s Word through out time. I believe that God’s hands were on those people, and on those books. The Bible isn’t just a book, it is a blessing.

I hope people will realise how important, how powerful, how real the Word of God is.

Kstuerke said...
Well done and thank you for keeping our God relevant, I love you for that

You sort of, but not entirely, offended me. Im sorry If my beleif offends you but you really don't have to post something like that on here. It really is pointless.

Im sorry that you think that my beleife in God is nothing but blood shed. Im glad you read the Bible, but Im sad that you ignored the New Testament. A pastor once told me that the God of the Old Testament is verry simalar to the God of the Muslims. There are alot of deaths in the Old Testament. but when Jesus died on the cross, he didn't just die for those are and will be, but also for those who have already been. 

The priests of the Old-Testament might not always have been... just. But the prophets, whom God spoke to, would set them right again. Im not an expert on Jewish history and customs. My article is about the authenticity and Truth of the Bible.

Chapter 5.6. and 7 of Matthew talk about Jesus' new expectations for both jew and gentile. mabye you should read the whole New Testament before going on in this conversation.

Yes I do beleive those men were in touch with God.  I beleive that all christians today are in touch with God. My explanation of how God wrote the Bible through those men might not be correct, but I'm pretty sure its close. Lets pretend Person A told Person B to write down " All Cats are evil and should be eliminated from Earth". We could say that A wrote through B. The same way God wrote the Bible. "Hey Moses, write down these 10 commandments". 

Can you explain something to me? How, after 6,000 some years, can the Bible be consistent with itself and other historical documents if God does not exist?

teacat749 BRONZE, Whitefish Bay, Wisconsin

We do not quit playing because we grow old. We grow old because we quit playing.
-Oliver Wendell Holmes

No offense, but I'm insulted. I'm Wiccan, and no Jesus or God created me. I just exist. 

Hope I didn't offend you.

Its a pretty good explanation for why the Bible is unchanging for so many years. Yes, I do beleive that these men were in touch with God. I also beleive that Im in touch with Him, and that all Christians are also. I beleive that men have also communicated to demons, as I stated in the comment below. I cannot explain HOW God wrote through men, but I'll try. My explanation is actually verry simple. If Average Joe told me to write 'Cats are creepy and should be banned from the USA' then I could say that Average Joe wrote through me. Does that make sense?

on Jun. 20 2011 at 11:02 am
jjdelman86 BRONZE, Old Westbury, New York

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -Jimi Hendrix

Can you please explain how "God" "wrote the bible" through these men?  Do you actually believe that these men were in touch with God?

DesertFox94 BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

"And the man that will do presumptouosuly, and will not hearken unto the priest that standeth to minister there before the Lord thy God, or unto the judge, even that man shall die: and thou shalt put away the evil from Israel"

Deuteronomy 17:12, KJV

According to this passage, all those who don't listen to the priest, in which I'm assuming they mean a preist that worships the same God as you and many other Christians do, should be killed. That sounds very similar  to what you said about the Qu'ran. 

Another passage:

"He that sacrificeth unto any god, save unto the Lord only, he shall be utterly destroyed."

Exodus 23:20

This almost explicitly states that those who worship other gods will suffer from some sort of retribution at the hands of (the christian) God. 

Why are you combative against the Qu'ran if it says the same things as it does in the Bible?

I wrote a reply for you! But it didn't go through.

The B.ible was (again) written through many authors. If some authors were aproached by s.atan, then the B.ible would be full of contradictions. However, there are no contradictions known to us. Im not saying there are contradictions in the Qu'ran, there may as well be none. The reason why I think it was S.atan that wrote the Qu'ran is because of what it says. It instructs m.uslims to k.ill all who don't want to c.onvert, espeacially c.hristians.. hmmmm, why would A.llah want to hold such a grudge against c.hristians? Maybe its because A.llah is actually C.hrist's enemy. So, if the B.ible was completely written by S.atan, it would have a similar message.

on Jun. 2 2011 at 8:55 am

Did you read my article? The Bible was written through many authors over the period of 800 years and all are consisten with each other. If some of the authors of the Bible were actually writing for satan, then it indeed would be a giant book of contradictions. However, inconsistencies have not been found yet, and probably never will. I find it interesting that Allah said in the Qu'ran to kill all who won't convert, and kill all Christians. He probably said that because Allah abohrs us (christians).

DesertFox94 BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia

So what if some of the authors of the Bible were approached by illusions of the Lord, but instead were Satan?

Good point. Well, the Qu'ran was written by one man where the Bible has many people. Again, God wrote the Bible through these people. Muhamed, however, wrote it because an angel appeared to him telling him to write ( im not sure if that is true. Im sure its along those lines). I don't think this angel that he saw was an angel of the Lord. I think he was an angel of Satan, no offence to Muslims.

on Jun. 1 2011 at 10:58 am
DesertFox94 BRONZE, McDonough, Georgia
So what about the Qu'ran?  Many Muslims would also argue that it is the Word of God. Could this be correct too? 

WordIsTruth said...
Amen! I'm glad to see that people today haven't lose their connection with their Savior and their Creator.

thanks for the comment. The wisest man who rejects the Bible is like a child who spits out his medicine.