On Origins. | Teen Ink

On Origins.

By gaffyninja SILVER, Doha, Other
gaffyninja SILVER, Doha, Other

Fettucini alfredo is macaroni and cheese for adults.
- Mitch Hedberg

Reader discretion is advised : The following article contains critcism on sensitive topics. If you do not wish to read, you are free to do so. Or if you have already read the article and decided to read the funny italics later, then I deeply apologize if I have hurt any of your sentiments.

It is quite fascinating to note the dissimilarities between the rich and the poor. For starters, they form society’s two polar opposites - With one being at the top and the latter at the bottom. While analyzing the two contingents, we seem to observe two completely different cultures. Even if they reside in the same locality, though this feature is never possible, we shall assume a hypothetical context - Each of them have their own sets of rules of social etiquette, of work ethics, of nature of friendships, of concepts of fairness, of concepts of beauty and even styles of dressing wherein the poor usually wear bright and colorful clothes with different designs, patterns and letters imprinted on them, citing more value for their money, while the rich clad themselves in expensive, monochrome t-shirts as long as they designer labels, which directly imply high quality. Of course, the irony being that both sets of clothes are stitched, knitted and sewn by the same class of people - The poor.

Of the many differences between them, the most intriguing are their concepts of self. Most of the poor see their lives in a way, that for them, it is impossible to go much further than where they are now. A forced feeling of accomplishment and fulfillment instills in them as they make good with only what they have, whatever little it may be. On the other hand, the rich are often subjected to months of soul searching in the far east as a consequence of their exuberant wealth. This faction tends to feel that they have lost their true selves, that it was engulfed by the wave of luxuries that they have amassed over the years. It is indeed quite humorous and in fact rather ironic, but entirely human to feel so.

Rich or poor or even among the middle class, human is what we have always been. However, thanks to the the disparity in one’s wallet, we have been grouped into different classes. So much so that it is quite difficult to fathom that we have originated from one. That we are all siblings, only to be separated by an iron wall composed of accidents of birth and diversities in bank accounts. Yet, in a world of billions, it is not surprising that human origin and our ‘true purpose’ has been a long standing topic of debate. Even among those of the same ‘class’.

Over the millions of years that have passed since the inception of a human civilization on Earth, many theories have fluttered around concerning our origin and purpose in the universe, though without much scientific evidence. Some were laughably thrown into obscurity, while others are revered and worshiped, turning into what we know as religion.The many concepts of religion, particularly the three Abrahamic religions, find it’s roots during the delicate, prepubescent stages of civilization. The last of which flourishing in the 8th century AD.

Another major feature of civilization is literature, which, just like religion, plays an important part in most of our lives as well. Among the many famous works of ancient literature are The Epic of Gilgamesh from Mesopotamia, Virgil’s Aeneid, The Hebrew Khuzari and Homer’s Odyssey. Now if the human mind have always had the ability to create fiction from scratch and with it’s infinite desire to understand their true purpose, it is quite possible that the three Abrahamic religions, just like their arch rival - Charles Darwin’s theory of evolution found in his book On the Origin of Species, could all be theories as well. Or rather, a hypothesis accepted to be fact through consensus. A remarkable similarity being that all three major religions are based on books. The first of which was purportedly written in 1280 BC and the last of which during the 7th century AD.

A feature that almost all world religions have successfully professed is the conceptualization of creationism and God. With science being a large array of confusing anomalies and impossibilities, it is quite logical that with the limited amount of knowledge that was available during that period, it could be felt that there must have been something else that could have ‘created’ us and the entire universe around us. Surely, if this being of a higher order were to create us, the same being could damn us as well in eternal hell-fire or reward us in a paradise much more beautiful and abounding than Earth. But only IF we were to follow God’s ways. Though countless men and women have found a positive ‘light’ whilst following their beliefs. These ‘ways’ or ‘guidelines’, on the contrary, have destroyed every good aspect of a religion. Sparking the long drawn debate over which path is the right path, which has often and sadly been resulting in dire consequences.

The modern time has also not been very shy with it’s philosophies either. With many radical theories springing to life. Some of them professing that we must have been descended from Aliens while others are deeply enthralled by the idea behind the 1999 science fiction movie The Matrix, that we may be living in a computerized simulation. Although these claims may seem silly to most of us, they have spread out among a large population, the former being the more widely believed proposition. However, it should be noted that the advent of these proto-beliefs only occurred after our own conceptualization of extraterrestrial life and robotics. Thus, logically, these may be simply coockoo. Or are they ?

Though our time has heard a million theories and read a million other books on our true purpose in the universe. The major claims to these have resulted in crusades and wars, with the loss of innocent lives soon following suit.

Now if we could picture a world where we did not have to quarrel over philosophies coined centuries ago. A world where classes would have long faded into the abyss. A world where an act of kindness is worth more than all the riches in the universe. A world where being good is not just because of the promise of going to heaven. A world where unison is the most revered philosophy in life. Then it is indeed possible, that through a productive study of natural observations, we could find the answers to our past - in the future.