What if...? | Teen Ink

What if...?

March 10, 2012
By AgentOrange789 GOLD, Friendswood, Texas
AgentOrange789 GOLD, Friendswood, Texas
16 articles 0 photos 59 comments

Favorite Quote:
"It's a saying they have, that a man has a false heart in his mouth for the world to see, another in his breast to show to his special friends and his family, and the real one, the true one, the secret one, which is never known to anyone except to himself alone, hidden only God knows where."
-James Clavell, "Shogun"


I'm not one to label myself, but if one were to define my religious views as best as possible, one would probably come up with "agnostic atheist." This means that I believe there is no existing god, although I can not physically disprove it. I have always been trying to counter-argue even my own views, and thus I've come to wonder...if there is a god, given the seen circumstances, what would he truly be like?
For a long time, I would answer that this hypothetical god would have had to create the universe billions of years ago, created life on one tiny planet (possibly by accident), and just let us evolve without a care in the universe for us. But lately I've been thinking differently.
When we think of gods, we think of creators of mankind. They created us in their own image, to reflect their values and desires, and to carry out their plans. But what about everything else we share the world with? The animals, trees, flowers, even the bacteria...what role do they have to play? This is where my hypothetical god comes in. In my view, if there is a god, then he/she/it does not preside over our species.
This god presides over the entire biosphere...nay, the entire universe. He ensures that everything is kept in balance, and that matter itself is organized into beautiful systems of self-regeneration. The collapse of one unit brings the rise of a new one under his design. But of course, we can't discuss theology without bringing our race back into the picture...it is, after all, all about us! So how do we fit in anyway?
Well...here's where my train of thought turns dark. What if...we are that rebel? What if we are the fallen angel? What if we are the Satan, the Apep, the Hades? The one who invades to disrupt the balance, cause chaos, and shake the throne? Look around at the world we live in. We are ravaging and exploiting our world's natural resources. Our materialism and greed allows for the subjugation and merciless slaughter of innocent animals and even other people. What if in all this, we are the ones attempting to destroy what a god created, not for us, but for every living organism? What if in our attempts to further our race and thus carry out our own god's plan, we are the usurpers of the true god's plan?
These are only my thoughts. I am not saying that I believe this is the case, these are only hypothetical questions to think about.

Signed,
An environmentally aware nonbeliever.