My Religion | Teen Ink

My Religion MAG

I have a magnet on my mirror stating, “Life is not about finding yourself – life is about creating yourself.” This is the statement I live by.

Many people do not believe me when I say I am an atheist. They don’t understand that I simply do not believe in any sort of god or afterlife. I also do not believe in the devil, in angels, or in souls. I believe in myself and the strength I have gained through the help of my parents, teachers, and friends – and my own hard work.

I am not going to try to dissuade anyone from his or her own opinions either. I know that people enjoy having religion in their lives; some need their faith to help them through hard times. And some do not want the responsibility of their misfortunes weighing down on their shoulders.

I do. I abhor the idea of fate – that everything is already planned out and you have no control to change anything. If you believe in fate, when bad things happen, it is not your fault; it’s just fate. When my life is not going well, I know that it is no one’s fault but my own. When I do well in school, when I fall in love, it is not fate and we are not soul mates. I worked hard and paid attention and did the homework. My love and I simply love each other – that is all it is, and for me that is all it needs to be.

For some, life is overwhelming. How can anyone be successful and happy in such a difficult, horrible world? They need someone to help them, someone to guide them, and someone to have faith in to make sure things get better. Placing my success and happiness in another’s hands breaks my heart. I need to be successful because of my efforts. I must be responsible for my own happiness. That is what I need from my religion.

Who will ever know what the truth really is? All I know is in the same way that some have full faith and trust in God to give them hope, I need to believe I am on my own to be truly happy – for how can I create myself if I spend my entire life just looking?

Jingmei BRONZE said...
Jingmei BRONZE, Lincoln Park, New Jersey
i agree with you dustfingers. it has nothing to do with following a systematic religion-- life is often irrational and out of control, but we can find out that there is God through all of it (He does not cause our pain, He heals it) and build a relationship with Him, we'll realize how much He is real and personal to us all. You can't associate "fate" with the existence of God, because that's just drawing human ideas of what life is-- and that's all that we are, small humans in this universe. However, God cares about you and loves you regardless of whether you ignore Him or not.

Cesare GOLD said...
Cesare GOLD, Sacramento, California

Do you know the only value life has is what life puts upon itself? And it is of course overestimated, since it is of necessity prejudiced in its own favor. [You] do not lose anything, for with the loss of yourself, you lose the knowledge of loss.

We are chemicals. I would be a Christian if they hadn't embellished God and the afterlife to ridiculous proportions. Now, I am an agnostic, believing that everything that happens in the universe has a natural cause be it our minds, or physics. A god may or may not have designed that system, but He does not play a direct part in it.
What do YOU believe when an earthquake hits, lighting strikes, meteorites crash, cancer blooms? Is god to blame? That would contradict everything Christians believe about God. An atheist's view is sound.

Cesare GOLD said...
Cesare GOLD, Sacramento, California

You must realize, Sarah, that you cannot control your life. You control yourself and some of your environment, but not all. You must know that everything in life has reason, and that that reason is not always centered on you. I am glad that you realize that we cannot know truth. Truth is something that people made up long ago.

Valtarov SILVER, Colorado Springs, Colorado

I said to the man at the gate, "Give me a light, that I may tread safely into the unknown." and he replied, "Go out into the darkness, and put your hand into the hand of God. That will to you be better than the light and safer than the Known."

Question: If we don't have souls, then what is there to determine what you do but unchanging natural things? Is not then the entirety of your life determined by empirical chemical reactions? Are you not then reduced to the whims of Fate dressed up in another name and fate?
I am a Christian who believes in free will, that our moral choices change who we are. I furthermore that it is only if we have souls--no, that it is only if we all are souls that happen to have bodies, that we can ever see a way to have any real choice about anything.
Also, just curious, if an earthquake hits, or lightning strikes you, or you are hit by meteorite, or contract cancer, how are you yourself to blame?

SloaneaminSticks BRONZE, Lubbock, Texas

"It is strange that the years teach us patience; that the shorter our time, the greater our capacity for waiting." - Elizabeth Taylor

I love this article. I completely agree with you. You have no idea how happy it makes me to see an atheist an atheist who isn't mean and bitter like most of the ones I know.

LihuaEmily SILVER, North Kingstown, Rhode Island

"It is said that there's no such thing as a free lunch. But the universe is the ultimate free lunch." -Alan Guth

Thank you for this article. It's not even slightly biased, which is wonderful.

Keyakyo PLATINUM, Nortonville, Kansas

People die...so love them everyday. Beauty fades...so look before it's gone. Love changes...but not the love you give. And if you love, you'll never be alone.

I personally, am Wiccan, however I was born into a Christian family and so I understand what you mean about religion means different things for different people. And I'd just like to say more power to you, its your choice, your life and if it works for you then go with it!!!!!!

sanra SILVER said...
sanra SILVER, Far Rockaway, New York
the list of what made who got end somewhere, is it so erratic that maybe the big bang was at the end of the list?

edwardcullen4always SILVER, Rock Hill, South Carolina

"If you feed a man a fish you feed him for a day, but if you teach a man to fish you feed him for a lifetime."

I totally agree!!

Toe_The_Line SILVER, Muscoda, Wisconsin

"In a field, I am the abscence of field. It's always been like that. Wherever I am, I am what is missing." - Mark Strand
"We are reading the story of our lives... we keep turning the pages, hoping for something." - Mark Strand

Good and evil are absolutely not religious words. Children are taught the difference between good and evil, right and wrong, before they are old enough to comprehend any sort of religion. To say that an atheist cannot comprehend that is ignorant.

alayapoetgirl BRONZE, St. Louis, Missouri

Life is hard; but it's harder if you're stupid. -John Wayne

This article is very well-written. However, I my religion is protestant, meaning I believe certain things from certain religions. So I do believe there is a most high, and angels. Although, fate isn't exactly what I would call what happens to us on a reg. basis. When you get the chance please check out my opinion essay on animal rights/ vegetarianism

AngelGal07 GOLD, Ferndale, Washington

"If you do not love God then you do not know God for God is love" 1 John 4:8

i'm a christain and i just want to say ( i'm not going to be preachy but say what a christain is) is that when a person becomes a christain they are cleaned from the inside out of all things they have done in the past and filled with a new hope, love, and fullfillment. you become a new person because of the blood of one man who saved us all! who died and lived again! who loves everyone no matter what they have done!

just wanted to share that.

darbie BRONZE said...
darbie BRONZE, Ruston, Louisiana

Politeness, n. The most acceptable hypocrisy.
Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
US author & satirist (1842 - 1914)

I'm an atheist as well and it's really nice to see this article have so much good feedback. I live in the "Bible Belt" so I'm in a constant battle with classmates about religion. But you simply said it perfectly. Keep writing. Stay strong.

LeannaRose SILVER, Moreno Valley, California

I believe that everything happens for a reason. People change so that you can learn to let go, things go wrong so that you learn to appreciate them when they're right. You believe lies so you eventually learn to trust no one but yourself...and sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

To everyone who agrees with this article, please see my point of view. I take on a whole new perspective, please read and share your thoughts, how you may agree or disagree thanks.

I agree. What you have said is very true. Yes religion can help someone, but life is based on who YOU are, not who THEY want you to be.

Dandelion PLATINUM, Franklin, Massachusetts
You don't understand how happy I am to have somebody post an article that explains my thoughts completely!

Jello-Socks said...
Jello-Socks, Louisville, Kentucky
Btw, very nice article :D

Jello-Socks said...
Jello-Socks, Louisville, Kentucky
I agree with Fandango-- Don't be sorry for her! Actually, that kind of irritates me. When someone has an opinion so whole-heartedly, who's to say what she should or shouldn't believe in, or whether you feel sorry for believing in the wrong ideals? And to 'light-bearer': Obviously she hasn't, or at least doesn't now. ;) Was I too outspoken? No offense to anyone who feels so. :].

bass_rockrgrl13 PLATINUM, Burlington, Massachusetts
Your article is incredible!

I really don't have a religion, so I can relate to you about that perfectly.

Good job!!! =)

FlyingAlight SILVER, Atlanta, Georgia
This is truly a great piece. You explain yourself clearly and you keep it respectful. I completely agree with what you are say 1000%.

I do see the need for religion in the world otherwise most people wouldn't know what to do without it.