Fishing | Teen Ink

Fishing

By ricknasa SILVER, Houston, Texas
ricknasa SILVER, Houston, Texas

I was ready for the biggest day of my fishing life tomorrow. My grandfather and my uncle had been planning out this trip for a year. I was preparing my mind the night before because we had turned it into a big fishing tournament between my uncle, my grandfather, and me. The alarm exploded out of the stillness and quietness of night . I looked at the alarm; it read 4:30, which was way too early. My grandfather walked in very happily; he had been up since 3:00. He told me to get up and get ready and that this would be one of the best fishing trips we’ve ever had. So I get up and eat my breakfast normally. Then my uncle comes running in and shouted, “Let’s go!” In my ear as loud as possible.
I climbed into the truck where the darkness of night gleamed across the door. First, we stopped to purchase the bait we used that day. We arrived at a little shop by the river. We walked in, and all of a sudden, it hit me: the smell of dead fish and dead shrimp. It smelt like there was a giant battle between the fish and shrimp, and everything was left dead. We stayed in the store for 30 minutes , which felt like forever. I never gave up and I held my breath that way I wouldn’t make me feel bad. The stench had poisoned my nose. Finally, we left the store, and my shirt was tainted with the smell. We drove upon the river, it was still and the freshly risen sun sparkled all across it. It was like something you would see in a movie or on TV. The pier was just standing there all alone. It was one of the only piers around the river that we could see. We all accumulated out on the pier watching the water gallantly flow through the river. The a bright colored fish hopped out of the river and hit the water with a splash. Then we realized that we hadn’t brought out our fishing supplies. I ran to the truck and jostled around until I could get a hold of my rod and reel.
I met back up with my grandfather who was carrying out the bait, which still stunk so badly. I held my breath and stuck the shrimp on my hook. I tossed the hook out, I could feel the weight and the hook sinking down to the floor of the river. I was jolted back to the present by the splashing of tossing the fish back into the wild. I had been lost in the thoughts of the day when the fish brought everything into focus for me. The fish was flopping all around upon the deck of the pier.
I was unable to pick the fish up because it was covered with slimy covered scales and was jumping all around. We finally caught it, and we threw the red fish with a black spot burned into its tail. At this point, my hands smelt so badly that my grandfather wouldn’t let me touch anything in his truck because he didn’t want to get it messed up. I quickly washed my hands because the smell began to envelop my personal space.
Despite my victorious catch I couldn’t help myself from wandering back into my memory of how my day went. I walked back onto the pier unnoticed, re-baited my hook, and tossed it out. I sat there talking to my uncle and my grandfather. They were telling all kinds of stories about old fishing trips that they’ve been on, but I felt left out because I had no stories to tell or talk about. They were talking about the time when they went to Colorado and fished for rainbow trout. They told me how great it was , and it made me feel terrible. I only had one thing over them this day and that would be my beautiful fish that I roped in, after all that was the biggest fish we caught throughout our fishing trip. Now my rod tip had just gone down as fast as stocks can go down. I grappled my rod until I had the right position that I wanted. The fight had begun I could feel the fish fighting for it’s life, it felt like a shark but I knew it couldn’t possibly be a shark. Faster I reeled, it felt like I would never land this fish when all of a sudden a loud snapping noise came up through the air it whipped against my ear drum when I realized that my line had snapped. I sat down with great disappointment that probably would have been my biggest fish ever. My grandfather stood there watching me pout then he” told to go give it another shot.” I re-strung my rod and put more smelly bait on. “If the fish can’t smell this then the fish are mutant, I thought to myself as I casted out.” “The smell finally disintegrated into the air around me. I sat there patiently ignoring the world around me, I could hear people in the background, but my eyes were fixed on the green salty water of the river with the glare from the sun splashing across my face I was ready to take on the fish again. Just then tip of my rod jumped up and down like a pogo stick. I picked up the rod and reel and started to fight in this beast. I fought and fought. It felt like I had been fighting forever when the fish leaped out of the water and showed his identity to the surface above him. This kept me inspired to get the fish, splash it’s over I won the fish is flopping and jumping around. The fish is one of the most beautiful things I’ve ever seen. It is a rich gold and tan with little specks across the belly. We gently unhook the fish and release him back into his world of the river. The first thing that I thought of after we let him go is that we need to go and eat lunch because we’re dying out in the blazing sun. The fishing day is over, and my real day has just began. Hopefully, I won’t give up when I’m not fishing.