Change the Pattern of Hate | Teen Ink

Change the Pattern of Hate

By kaitlyn1 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
kaitlyn1 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

My mom slowly took her hand out of her pocket to reach into her brown purse for her ringing cell phone. There was always something about the way she looked at the phone when this particular person called. The person on the other end of the phone should be my mom’s favorite person to talk to. In reality, this person was an enemy; her own mother. As my mom always did, she hung up the phone and placed in back in her purse. With a huge sigh, I saw a tear run down her cheek. Like other conversation she had with her mother, she told me she was fed up with ‘’all this drama and crap.” At this point I realized I don’t want to have the same relationship with my mom as she has with her own.
The relationship that my mom and grandmother have has helped me figure out how I want to treat my mom and how I eventually want my kids to treat me. My mom made a promise to my two sisters and I that she would always be there for us. She has never let us down and has been there through the good times and bad.
At a young age my grandmother left my mother and she was forced to buy everything on her own. My mom worked full time while attending high school and to this day, I still don’t understand how she could manage school and work. My mother has made an influence on my life and I don’t ever take life for granted. I appreciate the support, love and care she provides for my family.
I continuously find myself admiring my bond with my mother because of the impact she has made on me. The small things she does for me make me grin, as I appreciate our relationship. I know that sometime in the future my connection with my children will be the same as mine is with my mom. It is important for me to not end up in the sad, bitter relationship that my grandma and mother share.