Happy is Worse | Teen Ink

Happy is Worse

By JacobTheOrdinary PLATINUM, Rancho Cucamonga, California
JacobTheOrdinary PLATINUM, Rancho Cucamonga, California

"Fiction is the lie that tells the truth."

Why is it that sad is better?
That lost love and sad stories
beat our average everyday
happy endings?
That a tale of a lost soul
in some tragic misfortune
is more memorable than
a morning’s sunrise?
That we “Remember” those things
that brought us pain and despair
but forget the baby’s face
full of joy?
Could it be that everyone
just gets Happy and it’s never earned?
Could it be, just possibly, that
Happy is worse?

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

I agree with you Renee, we certainly tend to remember the sadness in our lives more than the happiness. You portrayed that wonderfully in this piece, and I absolutely love your use of metaphors. My favorite line is: "That a tale of a lost soul in some tragic misfortune is more memorable than a morning's sunrise?"

That's exactly the point of this piece. All i wanted to do was write a thought-provoking piece on the juxtaposition of happy and sad and end it with a rhetorical question.

Bay_Renee SILVER, Brinkhaven, Ohio

"Kites rise the highest when going against the wind."
-Winston Churchill

This is a really good question as to why stories of sadness are more touching or memoriable than stories of life or happiness.           I think that sad stories stay with us because, as a reader, we invest ourselves in the characters and their lives as we follow them through their 'plotline', and when we lose them, we mourn the death of a well written character like we might mourn a living person (not to the same extent, of course).          On the other hand, when readers are left on a happy note, we are content that our characters are happy and alive, and that tends to satisfy us to the point of which the memories of the happy characters fade away, but the grief and longing for our sad character sticks around. Just my opinion! Loved this piece- five stars!^.^