Sticks & Stones | Teen Ink

Sticks & Stones

By Sky_High SILVER, La Grange Park, Illinois
Sky_High SILVER, La Grange Park, Illinois

Do you remember that rhyme?
The one that went, "Sticks and Stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me,"? And when I was young, I believed these words with a full heart.

But then, in 3rd grade, I transferred schools to be with my best and only friend. And even though, my new school was right across the street, it felt as if I was entering a whole new galaxy. Everything was different. The food, the things we were learning, the students, the staff, everything. And while I barely knew subtraction, were learning multiplication.

That was when I was called a monster on the inside. Then, in 5th grade, they looked at me like I was a madman, when I was trying to be "normal". I was in 6th grade when I was given the label; "furry". Part of the reason was because of the cat ear headband I wore everyday to school like a strange crown to show off my love for cats. But mostly because of the cruelty of the society that never bothered to understand the person in the background. And I was in 7th grade when he stole my heart and then sold it to another like cheap candy.

Well then, a broken bone must hurt a lot.