Silence | Teen Ink

Silence

An earth shattering shriek pierces through the sky

My heart trembles, scared, it does not lie

Haunted whispers thunder in my ear

The plaguing voices will not disappear

So many people with so many sins

When will my misery ever end?

They pull me in, they pull me out

The wind circles my head with so much doubt

They beat me, they cheat me, they kill me inside

I hide in a corner and my soul weeps with cries

Stabbed, ripped, and torn apart

Silence is my only piece of art

I close my sorrow pitiful eyes

And just gradually forget the hurtful lies

My facade drops

And the voices stop

Silence took over

My heart unwillingly sobered

Sadly, Silence is my only friend

It's the place my lonely heart has been

I wrote this poem for me originally because my parents argued a lot sadly due to my father being in the military. He received PTSD while is war. My mother couldn't take it any more because while he lost a soldier in his arms, we lost are father in the process too. He began to forget his responsibility has a husband and for me a.... father. I wanted to silence the arguing in the internal battle in me and mostly my mother because how he verbally abused her. But then one day I read this poem to my father and when I looked into his eyes I could tell he was crying. Not my the outside but on the inside. His eyes displayed sadness. He said to me, "That sounds like a person with PTSD. Everyday day I hear a ringing in my eyes, it's a side affect from the bomb. To me it's the screams of the men who were blown up in the war. I think I want to hold on to this to help me through out the day." So I would like to dedicate this poem to all the children, wives, husbands, friends, or anyone connected to the military who has suffered---especially the soldiers who fought for our country. God bless and enjoy this poem that is a part of me and also the soldiers with PTSD.