You have to be depressed to understand... | Teen Ink

You have to be depressed to understand...

December 5, 2020
By justinecalderon03 BRONZE, Wilmington, California
justinecalderon03 BRONZE, Wilmington, California
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

You have to be depressed to understand. When people see you like this you get many reactions. Some will be good and some will be bad. You will never know who cares because to you it feels like everyone hates you. Feeling so low you can’t get up. Feeling like your all alone, not having any help. Some will say “it gets better”, others will see you as a freak, and others will encourage you to do things you shouldn’t. Feeling alone having nowhere to go drives you insane. Wanting to stay quiet so you won’t hurt anyone. Thinking life gets harder and harder. Feeling lower and lower. Pushing everything and everyone out your mind. Having no time to do anything because you feel worthless. You feel like a loser, an outsider . You have to be depressed to understand. Having these thoughts on your mind making you want to leave. Feeling like this world isn’t right for you. Feeling as if the sky is falling on you. Thinking the world has gone against you. Having this deep hurt feeling in your heart making you feel stupid. This feeling making you want to leave and never come back. It feels like an adventure to a place no one returns. Some people say you’ll finally be free. Free to leave the world that drags you down. Free to fly up high and not having no one hurt you. You have to be depressed to understand. Having to put up a fake smile for the world to see. Being afraid to show your emotions knowing how people are. Having people dragging you down, making your smile start to fade. Having the fakest smile and thinking no one will notice. Feeling the pain go from your mind to your heart. Wishing things you shouldn’t be wishing. Hoping things would go the way you want them to go. Wanting to cry for help but thinking your not worth it. Having these scars and bruises saying it’s nothing. Trying to cover yourself so no one can ask what’s wrong. The pain starts to drown all your energy, not wanting to do anything. Having to make up excuses every time someone sees your scars. Wanting to cry yourself to sleep but not wanting to seem like a little baby. You have to be depressed to understand.


The author's comments:

I wrote this piece to show others how hard it is to deal with depression. Not a lot of people go through it as bad so they feel like it's not that bad. But the people who deal with it and go through it know how hard it is to wake up in the morning. They know how it feels to feel like your alone but your not. I wrote this so others could understand it.