The Caterpillar's Family | Teen Ink

The Caterpillar's Family

July 5, 2021
By bellatrixi77 BRONZE, Laguna, Other
bellatrixi77 BRONZE, Laguna, Other
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Caterpillar on the tree.
Oh, I wonder where I’ll be.
Caterpillar, yes, that’s me.
I wonder what kind of future there is for me.
Unlike most caterpillars, I grew with help.
The owl took me in a shell.
Scared was I, she told me so,
"Welcome child, to your new home."
I didn’t fit in with my new family.
I was young, confused, and a little ugly.
It just takes time to get used to it.
I guess a lot of time is needed.
Mother owl fed me leaves.
I grew fat and very obese.
I was bullied by my brother owls.
They said I was fat and ugly, and they would just laugh and howl.
I went to the nest remembering the day I was on a tree and Mother Owl rescued me when I was another bird’s prey.
Mother and Father Owl were out for a fly, so I missed them.
I wanted to cry.
"I know I am not their true child." I thought.
"I know that my brother owls are of a different sort."
"I know that I am thinking bad thoughts."
Cold and in pain, I made myself a new home.
I thought ‘maybe if I hide, everyone will be fine’.
"After all, my brother owls are taking lessons to learn to fly".
Why I thought these thoughts, I don’t know why.
Safe and sound, I stop my cries and fall asleep during the night.
When I woke up, I felt anew.
"Look!’ I said, "It’s morning!"
I made a hole in my home and realized that I have wings!
A-and big antennas, too!
I got out and I flew!
I screamed "Mother, Mother!" and heard a hoot.
I was flying!
I was flapping my wings!
Mother couldn’t see me so I went close to the nest.
‘Mother! Mother!’ 
And because of my excited screams, 
Father woke up from his rest.
I flew to them and said "Mother! Mother! It’s me!"
"I can fly and I have wings that are pretty!"
"Oh! Child! Be free! Fly away and don’t worry about me!", Mother said.
Mother and Father Owl flew with me for the first time,
They said softly as ever "we love you and we’ll miss you dearly."
I saw that they had led me to a body of water where there were beings just like me!
I told them ‘I won’t ever forget our tree, our memories, and your powerful love for me’.
I write this to you my children who are safe and sound in these eggs.
So that when you have are a butterfly, you could fly up to that tree.
If you need help, my brothers will keep you safe and healthy for me.
They will be your father and uncles and will do their best to keep you safe and happy.
I am now weak and I can’t fly.
I need to rest and I wish you all the best.
Say hello to Mother and Father for me.
My child, be safe and happy with your new family.
P.S. From your mother who was raised with an owl family...

(For the children, youth, adults, and great elders out there... I speak to people of all sorts. I want to give you a few reminders. If ever you feel abandoned and lonely like our caterpillar in the story, know that you are never alone. Know that it’s ok to feel alone and abandoned, or that you aren’t loved. Why? Sometimes we just can’t help it. But though your mind is going through a ‘roller coaster and you yourself are crossing the ‘life tightrope’ you have to find a way to manage your feelings. Find a way to let go, to move on, to be happy no matter the risk!) 

Thank you for reading!


The author's comments:

I am a child who lives away from my family. Ever since I was 11 months, I have lived in the welfare system. I still do. When I was little, I grew up to understand people, especially the ones who are like me in some ways. Most of the people I know live with an NGO that connected me to my new family in the first place. I was bullied from time to time because I was a foster. This poem talks about how every child should feel. They shouldn't be bullied. No one should. I was able to write about what I feel. The times that I was bullied, I wanted to be alone. I wanted to shame myself in so many ways. In this poem, I feel like the caterpillar in the story. The owl is my loving mother who took me in and welcomed me as her child when I was 11 months old. I know that there are so many similar people out there. If ever you have teased someone because of the struggles that they face every day, try to look at yourself to be aware. ask yourself, 'Do I want someone to tease me too just like how I teased the person before?' It also talks about when a loved one dies. If you feel sad or lonely because of your loss, I wish you the best and that you find a way to move on. Simply to everyone, you don't need to forget a memory that has been making things hard. You just have to be able to truly smile and think of it without feeling negative thoughts. I know... it's hard sometimes. Even I feel low sometimes! Let's all be kind and welcoming to every single person with different genders and races. Even better, everyone!