If I Believed | Teen Ink

If I Believed MAG

By AStimac BRONZE, Ellington, Connecticut
AStimac BRONZE, Ellington, Connecticut

If I believed in god, I would have prayed.

If I had believed in coincidence, in divine purpose, in reasons beyond knowledge, I would have trusted some other worldly being.

If I had some faith, I would have given into it.

If I had some connection to more than this mortal life, I would have called upon it.

If I had some belief that there was more out there, more than the rainclouds above, I would have screamed at it to listen.

If I had trusted in the universe to listen, I would have yelled until my lungs bled.

If I had confidence in an omniscient source beyond the stars, I would have gone to the edge of the earth and cried for it.

If I had optimism, I would have traded it to the raindrops and the cardinals in an earthly deal for a moment more.

If I had hope, I would have fought the entire world,

but there was nothing to fight—only a death sentence and a failing body, and no amount of belief or faith or love could heal it.

I lost a friend this summer to a cancer diagnosis that quickly came and quickly took. For a while in my life there was a lot of questioning, of grief and all of its complexities. Writing poetry helped me process all of these emotions and thoughts, and this piece was about my own lack of spirituality and belief in a higher power and dealing with loss in that regard. 

NicoleRV SILVER, Lawerance, Massachusetts

"Failure is a bruise not a tattoo"
-Jon Sinclair

Wow I love this poem. It's great!

Crazywolfiegirl2 PLATINUM, Kington, Other

There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature—the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. —Rachel Carson

This is so sad, I'm sorry for your loss but I'm glad poetry has helped... I've found that it can also help me when I'm feeling down... Maybe that's why many of the poems on teenink are depressing. Anyway, great poem, and I hope you start feeling a little better soon, even if a loss will never truly go away.

Afra ELITE said...
Afra ELITE, Kandy, Other

"A writer must never be short of ideas."
-Gabriel Agreste- (Fictional character- Miraculous)

Very well Written...My deepest condolences for the loss...I know how it feels to lose a friend...Anyway, we have to move on...Keep on writing...

Check out my poem...It is my first poem on Teen Ink...

TeenInk.com/poetry/all/article/1143173/Marriage

SparrowSun ELITE, X, Vermont

"It Will Be Good." (complicated semi-spiritual emotional story.)

"Upon his bench the pieces lay
As if an artwork on display
Of gears and hands
And wire-thin bands
That glisten in dim candle play." -Janice T., Clockwork[love that poem, dont know why, im not steampunk]

lydia,disagree, God is always with us, even if we dont know.otherwise i agree. id add something but you said it all.

Lydiaq ELITE said...
Lydiaq ELITE, Somonauk, Illinois

The universe must be a teenage girl. So much darkness, so many stars.
--me

It is true that God is not near us when we need him most. But you can't really escape him. He will be there at the end and then you'll find out what it all means. I'm so sorry for what happened, it's unthinkable.

Moonwallflower GOLD, Maple Ridge, Columbia

You can be very wild and still be very wise.
- Yoko Ono

Beautifully written, I’m so sorry for your loss.