The Moth and 'Moon' | Teen Ink

The Moth and 'Moon'

By Radio_Static666 BRONZE, South Hill, Virginia
Radio_Static666 BRONZE, South Hill, Virginia

"People will do anything for the true extent of happiness."

I'm just a Moth

Im the one that doesn't eat amd my only purpose is to mate and have children so our life cycle and continue.

I navigate by the moon

It's how I fly and know where I'm going

How I get home

I saw you, and I thought you were the moon. You were so bright and I couldn't help myself. I flew in, I got closer. The closer I got, the warmer I became. The limbs started heating up and my wings shook. 

I got so close I touched you. I've never touched the moon before. I never knew I could. It was hotter than i thought it be. It burned a little more than it should've. 

But it was the moon. I trusted the moon. And if the moon touched me, and let me rest, telling me it was my time to leave, I trusted the moon. The moon was my friend. It got me to my tree countless nights. It lead me to my birch tree where I had my eggs. It led me to my first lover, and it led me to my last. Now the moon was telling me it was my time to go. 

I never thought the moon would be hot. I never thought I'd make a popping noise as I touched the moon either. But there i was. My wings giving out, falling to the ground. 

I couldn't wait to tell my friends I had touched the moon. I couldn't wait for my friends to experience it too. It may hurt, and I may have passed from it, but us moths trust the moon. And we will always go to the light that looks like it. 

My name is Kenzi and I am an alter of The Creative Coven Polyfragmented DID system. I wrote this poem about moths flying into lights and bug zappers because they think the bright light is the moon.