I Am Your Porcelain Puppet | Teen Ink

I Am Your Porcelain Puppet

April 13, 2024
By lylahw BRONZE, Nairobi, Other
lylahw BRONZE, Nairobi, Other
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I´m labeled as a puppet

With porcelain skin which cracks and never heals


I am told to ignore it

Because eyes made of glass can watch but they can't cry


And limbs made of clay can be played with but they can't react


And lips drawn with ink can be wiped off but they can't yell


And a body made of porcelain can feel but it can´t fight back


So use me for your own amusement because I won´t wriggle and squirm

Use me as a broken object because I won´t shriek and yell

Use me as a porcelain puppet because that is what I am


I am your porcelain puppet, I belong to you, so don't be afraid

Come closer, I won't bite


And take advantage of my puppet strings

 

The issue I am exploring is the sexual dehumanization of women in our society. I have had photos of me in a bikini taken by sixth graders at my school. People take pictures of fancy cars and pretty sunsets. So why take a photo of me, a living, breathing, human being. It's not a compliment. It's abuse. I know people who have been asked for nudes by eighth graders and younger. Since fourth grade - fourth grade - men in their thirties have come up to me, with greedy eyes and drool practically dripping from the corners of their mouth.  Because I was a girl who would grow into a woman. And I am here for men's satisfaction. And I'm scared. I'm scared that I won't be able to fight back. I´m scared that they will overpower me and I will lose hope. This toxic system is like a thick cloud, gathering more and more innocent boys as it spreads around. It steals young, pure boys and translates them into toxic, greedy men. Like a factory turning an autumn tree into a sheet of paper. Because of this system, I could go in front of these disgusting men, these immature boys, in an oversized hoodie covering my face, and baggy jeans that reach down to my ankles, and I would still be an object. I would still have my body stolen from me. So stop telling me to cover my shoulders and not show any bra straps. Because I am not the problem. Tell them to stop belittling me down to a mere toy for their satisfaction. Tell them to stop dehumanizing me because of my gender. Tell them to stop taking away my worth. Because I am worth so much more than a cracked, amusing doll. I am not your porcelain puppet. I don't belong to you. I will wriggle, squirm, shriek and yell. I will bite and fight back. I am not your porcelain puppet. And I ripped free from my strings a long time ago.