The Sadness | Teen Ink

The Sadness

By emmacxoxo PLATINUM, Chelsea, Massachusetts
emmacxoxo PLATINUM, Chelsea, Massachusetts

Okay. Okay.

Sadness. It can creep up on you suddenly, without warning, or take the form of long and developed grief. Its that hollow feeling deep in the pit of your stomach, the one that makes your heart turn cold, and brings tears to your eyes. It’s the crippling feeling that you can’t shake once it hits you, no matter how long you cry, stare off into space, or blast music into your head to numb the pain. The pain. The pain accompanies the sadness and it brings you down further. To take away the pain we might try to hurt ourselves, get rid of the sadness and the hurt that overwhelms our bodies and that possesses every fiber of our being, even the little sense of reasoning that tells us what is right and what is wrong. Everything disappears and is erased by the pain and sadness and if we stay like that, cold, numb and perfectly oblivious to the rest of the world, we become lost. Once lost in the sea of sadness its hard to save ourselves; we’re perfectly content underwater where we don’t have to be a part of the real world. Others help us out of this abyss however. They offer a kind word, a look of sympathy, or try and banish the sadness and make us feel the warmth of happiness once again. But the sadness will always reappear, never wanted, but always lurking in the shadows to suffocate us again. It can creep up on anyone, regardless of race, age, or lifestyle; the sadness has no prejudice. It’s a constant battle, and we cant let the sadness win, for every person who succumbs to the sadness is one less person to help their fellow beings rise above this inner demon, the one emotion more deadly than any man made weapon.

My feelings regarding being sad, and how it can be more powerful than people know.