Until I'm Twenty-six | Teen Ink

Until I'm Twenty-six

By Jean16Bean PLATINUM, Batavia, New York
Jean16Bean PLATINUM, Batavia, New York

"Writing is not hard. Just get paper and pencil, sit down and write as it occurs to you. The writing is easy-it's the occurring that's hard."-Stephen Leacock

When I'm fourteen, I'll enjoy the summer and become depressed in the winter.
When I'm fifteen, I'll contemplate going to high school.
When I"m sixteen, I'll learn to drive, and my goal will be not to run over any squirrels.
When I'm seventeen, I'll hang out with nice people I like.
When I'm eighteen, I might be in college, struggling to get good grades.
When I'm nineteen, I'll wash the dirt off my knees.
When I'm twenty, I'll try to do more acting and singing, hoping to someday do that professionally.
When I'm twenty-one, I will have written a book, and it will have been beautifully written.
When I'm twenty-two, maybe I will have already fallen in love, and if I haven't, I will then.
When I'm twenty-three, I'll do something important for the world.
When I'm twenty-four, I'll still carry a backpack holding my most important belongings, as I did since I was twelve.
When I'm twenty-five, my life will be about a quarter of the way over. And I will have gotten a lot out of that time.
Maybe I'll read this when I'm twenty-five, and see if I stayed true to myself. Then I'll make one for when I turn twenty-six.

Juicy Writing, a book full of writing exercises, by Brigid Lowry inspired me to write this piece. The exercise is this: You start writing about the age you will be on your next birthday, and go up until you reach twenty-five. At some point, you say "When I'm (age), I'll wash the dirt off my knees). It's a great exercise because it can be funny, sad, expressive, whatever you like! Some authors, such as Josie de Costa, who wrote "For Jenna" . A saddening and powerful piece that everyone should read.