War-paint | Teen Ink

War-paint

By DeusExMachina SILVER, Reading, Pennsylvania
DeusExMachina SILVER, Reading, Pennsylvania

The universe was exploding, each particle away from the next, hurtling us into dark and lonely space, eternally tearing us away from each other--child out of the womb, friend away from friend, moving from each other, each through his own pathway toward the goal-box of solitary death

I made a war-paint today;
mashed berries and
Root
provided color while the
stone Ground in Fear.

Streaks on my chest and
thighs
that prove my strength
and turn blue as I struggle stop
me from thinking
too far ahead

She told me about the silly game
I was playing and
naturally,
I became afraid of that lacking.
She laughed and traced the paint
with a fingernail while whispering
that Fear doesn’t exist.

I fought with him
but he was as strong
or stronger than myself
and when I opened my eyes
I saw that his chest and his thighs
Reflected back at me my own War-paint;
and I cried
for the both of us.

haha yeah I hate it when I have to do that xD

Thank you, and the flow you're talking about may be because of my personal style... Though I experimented more with this one, its pretty true to most of my poems.

You're probably right, I'm sure it means something different to everyone. thanks!

I'm glad someone noticed! :) thanks!

leafy said...
leafy, City, Other

Gil: I would like you to read my novel and get your opinion. 
Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 
Ernest Hemingway: If it's bad, I'll hate it. If it's good, then I'll be envious and hate it even more. You don't want the opinion of another writer. 

nice poem, although for the flow kinda bothered me, but you might have been meaning to do that. keep up the good work!

leafy said...
leafy, City, Other

Ernest Hemingway: I hate it. 
Gil: You haven't even read it yet. 

lol me too the longest i went looking for the perect photo was like about 5 minutes, and then i just decided to go ahead and pick an ok photo :)

trampledsun_ BRONZE, Bristol, Connecticut

Whatever happens, happens. If you waste your time clinging to the past, your whole life will revolve around a figment of days gone by.

This is great! I had to read it twice to understand it, but it probably means something different to everyone who reads it. That's what I like about this poem; You have to let it sink in.<3

PaigeStreet PLATINUM, Juneau, Alaska

"Stay golden"
- Johnny (The Outsiders, S. E. Hinton)

Honestly I can't say much about this content... I don't "get" it, really. But I like your structure, and how you arrange each line evenly in the first three stanzas, even if you don't use tradition meter. Like thighs and stone and naturally. It has structure and variation. 

Wow. Thank you so much! You really don't know how much that means to me :) and if its one of your favoites, you should favorite it ;)

ohmakemeover BRONZE, Centerville, Minnesota

"Touch comes before sight, before speech. It is the first language and the last, and it always tells the truth."- Margaret Atwood

This is one of my favorite poems that I've read on Teen Ink.  The imagery is just beautiful, the message can be heard in so many different ways, and it has a certain strength that I can't pinpoint.  This is really a winning poem, I love it.

awesome! Thanks for the feedback!

Thank you! and yeah I always try very hard to find just the right one.  I usually go through at least twenty sets of ten hahaha

TheHangingGirl BRONZE, Winter Haven, Florida
1 article 1 photo 250 comments

"Poets utter great and wise things that they themselves can not comprehend."

AWARD WINNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just astounding.

Kai17 GOLD said...
Kai17 GOLD, Spokane, Washington

*beepbeep*
"Where to, Miss?"
"To the stars."

This poem was really well done. The picture matches with it, too, which can be hard to find.

haha thanks! And I'd tell you, but curiosity killed that cat, didn't it? ;)

thetruthawaits94 SILVER, Duncan, Oklahoma

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, but learning to dance in the rain.

I like the descriptions! What exactly is this poem about though? I'm curious. :)