A Recited Truth | Teen Ink

A Recited Truth MAG

I pledge allegiance
To the flag
Of the United States of America
And to the controversial culture for which it stands
One nation, under whatever deity you choose,
Indivisible since 1965,
With liberty and justice for all who can afford a decent lawyer.

laptopbible said...
that was funny, uniqe, and funny it is double rofl

krysten said...
i loved this. so funny

anabananaz said...
this was hilariuos. i wish that we could say this pledge in school, but i noe that its not ALLOWED!!!!

goodgollie said...
As the author, I agree. It's for a new perspective is all

im sorry but i think that the pledge should stay the way it was written first!!

smile_lover said...
I absolutely love this poem!I think anyone who doesn't like this poem is in denial. It's unique, and kinda funny. Way to tell it like it is:)

babygirl1011 said...
wow. this is really good. i thought it was kind of funny too. its true with how we can have liberty and justice, as long as we have a GOOD lawyer. and same with the entitey thing. i totally get it.

true this plege should be our us pledge, i think you is talented!

Yo! It's me said...
Look, man, all you critiziing the authour I think you should know. I don't think she was attacking AMERICA the nation, but pointing out the injustices and the bad things because we can't fix things we don't realize.

This is very well written, sharply satirical and it makes its point well. That being said, its point is completely and utterly off base.

The United States is the greatest country in the world. This can not be better evidenced by the fact that we, as a people, freely elected a racial minority for the first in time, in any country, in the history of the world.

I challenge you to find an exception.

Smile:) said...
????? Move to Canada??? ????? I mean really...good luck with Obama

AliPants said...
This was a great satire, and quite true, really. I'd rather memorize this rather than say the traditional pledge.

RadChick23 said...
I think that this is very impowering and i love it.

It speaks allot about what are "freedom" is coming to. .

Amazing:)

wee all feel the same way,

AstroChef said...
The whole thing rings true. Many of the comments say it is downturn to what this country stands for. No, in fact, it's just a play on words that are true. Remember about the controversy if God should be mentioned in the Pledge, especially at school? Well, then, maybe you will change your mind. Not to mention, it is also true that if you don't have any money, you sure don't have a good lawyer, and you might as well be the scum of the earth, and be thrown into jail even though you didn't do anything wrong. But hey, I love it. More power to yah'.

sjk93 said...
so true =]

terraboo said...
i think the old one makes no sence really. I agree with babybluequeen. If this word was so perfect like she said then why is the war still goin,kids starving,losing there homes,an innocent people dying.

Sarah W said...
I really like the satirical aspect, although I must admit that I don't know if I agree with the message.

I disagree with emalicious101. This country isn't totally based on equality. If it was, then why are there still children starving every night in our country? If it's so great, then why are there people getting their homes taken away from them that they lived in for years? Our country's the best? Then why are we involved in wars that we don't belong in? Why can't everyone have equal healthcare? Don't we all want to live? Why is it that the test scores in America are lower than most of the countries in the world? I'm not saying that this country has to be perfect, but it could be a whole lot better.

project827 said...
this is how we all feel