Seasons | Teen Ink

Seasons

By HopeIsWhatWeCrave GOLD, Rowlett, Texas
HopeIsWhatWeCrave GOLD, Rowlett, Texas

[Frodo] How do you pick up the threads of an old life? How do you go on... when in your heart you begin to understand... there is no going back? There are some things that time cannot mend... some hurts that go too deep... that have taken hold.

_________________

[Pippin] I didn't think it would end this way.
[Gandalf] End? No, the journey doesn't end here. Death is just another path... One that we all must take. The grey rain-curtain of this world rolls back, and all turns to silver glass... And then you see it.
[Pippin] What? Gandalf?... See what?
[Gandalf] White shores... and beyond, a far green country under a swift sunrise.
[Pippin] Well, that isn't so bad.
[Gandalf] No... No it isn't.

_________________

[Frodo] I can't do this Sam.
[Sam] I know. By rights we shouldn't even be here, but we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo, the ones that mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end, because how could the end by happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even the darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something. Even if you were too small to understand why. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. The folk in those stories had plenty of chances of turning back only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding onto something.
[Frodo] What were they holding onto, Sam?
[Sam] That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for

Green and lush the grass grows in the spring
The tulips and zinnias sprout from the seeds
A doe gives birth to her first little fawn
And the wind blows round in the reeds

The flowers blush in the summertime
The ivy twines its-self round the trees
A warbler's song drifts through the open window
And the wind blows round in the reeds

Red and orange leaves drop in autumn
The aster and sedum bloom free
A squirrel collects nuts for its winter store
And the wind blows round in the reeds

Snow falls fast in the wintertime
The flowers begin to recede
The black bear sleeps soundly in his den
And the wind no longer blows in the reeds

This poem was inspired by the wonder of the seasons.