Like OMG Hi | Teen Ink

Like OMG Hi MAG

By Ecorning17 BRONZE, Prospect Heights, Illinois
Ecorning17 BRONZE, Prospect Heights, Illinois

You see us in the hallways
Crisp white uniforms topped with bright shiny bows
Pom-pom-waving cheerleaders
Flock together in a chorus of “Like OMG Hi!”

We're known for being dumb,
Like we can't walk and chew gum at the same time
However I'll have you know that
You can find all three captains in AP calculus

They say is it a hobby
We are not respected as athletes
But ask the IHSA
We count just as much as you football players

You think it's hard to catch that ball?
Try catching a twisting girl.
We spend just as many hours
Perfecting our effortless spirals.

We have a rep for short skirts
Like Britney in “Bring it On”
But talk to Mrs. Sebesta
Classiness is what we strive for.

Like the Orange Crush yells their lungs off
Competition mats scream our name
Stunt tumble jump cheer dance
Three minutes of pure energy

You think we all have golden blonde hair
And date the quarterback
It is not a popularity contest
You don't have to be a size 2 to earn a uniform

Guys are welcomed into the cheer family
Often met with snickering and
“What team do they play for?”
The answer is OUR team.

I'll have you know that for cheerleaders
There's more than meets the eye
So instead of staring like we're an alien species
Find the courage to just say “Hi.”

SH610 BRONZE said...
SH610 BRONZE, Chelmsford, Massachusetts
I loved this poem! I'm not a cheerleader but it's good to see that this poem was written through the eyes of a cheerleader! Keep up the good work and stay strong;)

ecmilla SILVER said...
ecmilla SILVER, Berkeley, California
I love this poem! Simple but upbeatedly elegant.

iWriteForFood SILVER, Murfreesboro, Tennessee

"Logic will get you from point A to point B. Imagination will take you everywhere." ~Albert Einstein

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Absolutely loved this! I'm a cheerleader too and I would love to see us getting more respect. Cheer takes a lot of hard work and dedication!

Olivia-Atlet ELITE, Dardenne Prairie, Missouri

"To these the past hath its phantoms,
More real than solid earth;
And to these death does not mean decay,
But only another birth"
- Isabella Banks

This is really great! I hope people can gather that cheerleaders are more than just eye candy. Thanks for sharing this! XD

Yeah, I did that too XP

Margaret252 SILVER, Thrichur, Other

why are you trying to fit in when you were made to stand out???

Good piece... I have always felt that cheerleaders needed recognition N diz poem gives da message

flatcap12 GOLD said...
flatcap12 GOLD, Roy, Utah

"It is when we hit our lowest point that we are open to the greatest change." -Avatar Aang

I certainly know the feeling. the marching band at my shcool has been winning awards, we bust our buttsto do well, but ultimately we have ablsolutely no respect. it's ridiculous. good luck.

CHA123 BRONZE said...
CHA123 BRONZE, Faribault, Minnesota
FateRunner, this poem was to show people that there's more to cheerleading than you think. That didn't work for you. You said it's not in the Olympics so it doesn't count as a sport? Football isn't in the Olympics either. I'm a dancer and at my school dance is highly disrespected, so I could relate to this. Cheerleading does relate to dance in some ways. We practice for fifteen and a half hours a week. That's all for our three and a half minute performances at completions. I'm just saying, don't disrespect something before you try it.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

Way to go Xandi. I'm in marching band too and I'm good friends with a bunch of cheerleaders. It's harder than it seems.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

I really like this. You've already gotten enough praise by making it into the mag, and look at all these comments! I think if you're going to have a rhyme scheme, it should be an all or nothing deal. The last stanza rhyming threw me off a little. Other than that, it was great.

Xandi said...
Xandi, Mckinney, Texas

"Cinderella never asked for a prince. She asked for a night off and a dress." -Kiera Cass

Okay, I'm not trying to be rude, and I'm no cheerleader, but do you think that cheerleaders just go to a game without any practice and automatically know what to do? There is a lot of work put into perfecting the performance, and it's not fair to say because it's only 3 minuets long, it's not a real sport. In marching band, it's only a performance lasting a few minutes during halftime, but you still have to practice. Ice scating, a rehearsed thing, but even only a few minutes long, it is still a sport, and in the Olympics. Besides, isn't gymnastics an actual event, with jumps and flips, rehearsed too? Not saying they're the same thing but you cant say that hard work does not go into it or that it doesn't take any concentration. How bout you try to catch a girl and roll her off your shoulder gracefully after just doing a backflip or a sumersault. I'm sorry if I sound rude, I really am not trying to be disrespectful. This is an awesome peom with a really great message, but it's not like it's a walk in the park and doesn't take work or practice or commitment. I really hope you'll realize that and don't judge things off of how they look in quality, length, or time.

JRaye PLATINUM said...
JRaye PLATINUM, Dorr, Michigan

"If you build your house far enough away from Trouble, then Trouble will never find you."

"Have you ever looked fear in the face and said, 'I just don't care.'?"

This absolutely belongs in the magazine :) It's so simple and honest, really well written and well said. I hate people that put lables on groups of people without getting to know them. This is an incredible poem :)

ermahgerdkiara, Phoenix, Arizona

"You've only failed if you have failed to try"

I love this poem that you've written! It makes me have a different view of cheerleaders and it's great to hear the side of a cheerleader Also, I just wanted to say that the picture you used is of my school! haha I thought that was ironic that I clicked on your poem and happened to come across it

This poem definitely gave me a new view on cheerleaders. I read the "I Was a Non-Blond Cheerleader" series a few years ago and although there were a lot of cliches and sterotypes in the story, I found out that cheerleading has a lot to do with gymnastics and acrobatics and takes determination and hard work. I used to think cheerleaders were just bubbly girls who bounced around and yelled rhymes, but after reading those books I knew better. And now, after reading this poem, I know that cheerleaders aren't the stereotype girls that fiction leads us to believe.

CookieMonster24 PLATINUM, Delhi, Other
Haha, you are totally missing the point of the poem. 

FateRunner BRONZE, San Jose, California
I'm not trying to disrespect cheerleeding here, but its not exactly a sport. I mean, do you get out of breath and a real workout? Compare it to soccer. Does it take tons of strategic planning like all the other sports? no. Is it an Olympic Sport? no. How did it originate? By people just cheering. Even look at the name of the "sport".  Above you said "three minutes of pure energy". Well other sports are an hour and a half of pure energy.  Also, this poem is contradictory to itself. You say "try catching a twirling girl" yet "guys are welcomed into the cheer family" At my shool cheerleading doesn't count as a real sport. Think of it this way. If cheer is a sport than dance is.  I'm not saying cheerleaders are stupid, I'm just saying, it takes nowhere near as much determination, strength, strategy, time (those of us playing other sports competitively have worked for hours since we were six), and speed as other sports. However I do think this was well written, and that you changed my mind about cheerleading stereotypes. Its just not a sport.  

Bethany_Saint GOLD, Dexter, Maine

"Never regret something that once made you smile." - Amber Deckers

"Stories are more than just images. As you continue in the tale, you get to know the characters, motivations and conflicts that make up the core of the story...." - Livia Blackburne

I love how you actually clear peoples perspectives on cheerleaders, it crushes the high school popularity totem pole effect. I hate it when people categorize others, everyone is perfectly fine as who they are.

FilmLoverandWriter14 BRONZE, Oakville, Other

"No matter where you are from... your dreams are valid"

- Lupita Nyong'o

Very we'll written! I love your poetry writing, it's very good and totally relatabe! We'll I'm no cheerleader but your point of view on them is true. We all consider cheerleaders as the mean, shallow and popular girls of schools and it's a big stereotype that we all see that we forget that not all of those girls are mean and shallow. They're people too. All in all well written!

sdominod96 said...
That's pretty harsh. Did you ever think that maybe people put the author in a stereotype and they might make fun of her? Maybe she's bullied for having spirit. Maybe she wants to have a conversation with new people. Like the poem says she wants them to not be afraid to go talk to her. In my opinion the author isn't trying to seek attention, maybe she wants to be friends. Just because your being mean to someone considered 'popular' doesnt mean it's not bullying 

kel_the_shell, Ronks, Pennsylvania

"We accept the love we think we deserve." - The Perks of Being a Wallflower

Insightful. I think we all have our unfair sterotypes of groups and I hate to say it but I did think of cheerleaders like this. Obviously I was wrong. Keep on writing and cheering. :)