Uninvited Necklace | Teen Ink

Uninvited Necklace

By Rachel Bradshaw SILVER, Rodeo, California
Rachel Bradshaw SILVER, Rodeo, California

oH the irony-

oF a cat that refuses to meow, a dog that would rather curl in a ball than chase after a cat.

oF excitement, that quickly is squashed by the logic that pours on top, icing this cake with realism and a cherry on top- stress.

The cake is completed, yet the residue of icing glops are left on the platter, and of course the cherry stem, reminding me still oF the feeling. oF the irony.

Something that brings such joy, such relief, such forward motion, suddenly brings me back. Dread, horror, worry. oF which these emotions did not belong before. yet here they are…

oH the irony.

The cake has long since been eaten, yet the platter has not been washed.

Can you tie a cherry stem in a knot? Would that make it easier or harder to let go of the habit tied around my neck? This habit doesn’t belong here. It belongs wIth school work, wIth sickness, wIth loss, wIth stupid boys and catty girls. Yet here it is, draped across my chest like an ugly necklace given to me by that one great aunt that expects you to wear it when you see her.

This necklace doesn’t belong at the party. Yet… here it is. At my art desk.

When a scholarship required several art pieces in a medium I wasn't used to using- an uninvited necklace invaded my art desk. How rude.