Pencil Feathers | Teen Ink

Pencil Feathers

By GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana
GuardianoftheStars GOLD, Shongaloo, Louisiana

"Let's tell young people the best books are yet to be written; the best painting, the best government, the best of everything is yet to be done by them."
-John Erslcine

Pencil feathers
So gentle
So fine
It seeps down my page
Whisper soft
Wind delicate
My pencil feathers
Sprout into wings
One, two, three
They spread and fly
Off of my pencil
Out of my paper
Into the world
And all that is left
Is the ashes of my eraser’s dust.

I think drawings are like birds. They start off so simple and soft and change into a wonderful creature that takes flight and enters people's mind in a way they'll never forget.

Beila BRONZE said...
Beila BRONZE, Palo Alto, California

"The coldest winter I ever spent was a summer in San Francisco." -Mark Twain

The poem is beautifully written, and the metaphor is more lovely still. I like the fact that you ended with a nod to the eraser, an important yet too often overlooked partner of the pencil bird. :)

-John Erslcine

Thank you! 

Kestrel135 PLATINUM, Waterford, Connecticut

"Respect existence or expect resistance"

This was a great metaphor, especially for me since I am always comparing nature - often birds - to works of art. In a way, nature is its own work of art, and since we arouse from nature, our art parrellels its own. I really like this work. Keep writing! 

-John Erslcine

I'm glad you liked it! :D

E.J.Mathews GOLD, International Falls, Minnesota
Awesome! This really describes writing, or even drawing really well. I wasn't quite sure which one you were going for, but it doesn't matter, it was still fantastic! Great work! I don't write a lot of peoms, so I don't have the eye to look for mistakes in this, but it all looks great for me!

-John Erslcine

Thanks so much! :)

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

Omg! I love how I can just sink into the poem and disapear within its words. I can totally understand your perspective and I love the imagery, especially when you describe the eraser dust as ashes and how you compared everything to wings. Keep it up :)

-John Erslcine

Aww. ^__^ Thanks so much! That means a lot!!!

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Hey there! I love the title, it feels so simple and pretty to me, I really like it. And the picture goes really, really well with this. I also love what you put into the author's comment. I could not have said that any better, I completely agree. And I love the format of this poem. The lines are so short, but the words chosen on each line are so magical and pretty. I loved this. You made a simple observation into something wonderful. The descriptions are very vivid. And the colors in the picture you chose seem to drift into the poem and mix. I LOVE this.