Anchor | Teen Ink

Anchor

By estucker1998 PLATINUM, Tuscaloosa, Alabama
estucker1998 PLATINUM, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

The voracious ambition of humans is never sated by dreams coming true, because of the thought that everything may be done better and again. --John Green, The Fault in Our Stars.

In these stormy days,
I have nowhere left to turn.
The winds push me, pull me,
drag me down.
The tides swirl me around,
slinging me this way and that.

But then I find it.
I find the thing that holds me down.
It keeps my feet planted
solidly on the ground.

The winds cannot shake me.
The tides cannot break me.
In my security,
I stand tall
and still.

I have found my anchor.

I won't tell you how to interpret it. I know what my anchor is. Do you?
Feel free to rate and comment.

Thanks for asking! I have submitted 3 new things (2 poems and 1 short story) and I'm waiting to see if they get published. I will be sure to check out 'Porcelain Friend' by the way. I have never heard of that band, but I like pretty much any type of music so I'll be sure to check that song out. Thanks! 

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

I came to check up on you and see if you had anything new posted! Let me know when you do. (I have something new, called 'Porcelain Friend'.) But, anyways, since you had nothing new I decided to read this again. It is all the more lovely. This is a wonderful read, I thoroughly enjoy it. But, I have a question! So, my favorite band is Mayday Parade, and they have an AMAZING song called 'You Be The Anchor That Keeps My Feet On The Ground' and I am not sure what kind of music you are into, but maybe you will like this song. Even if you don't like how it sounds, just take the time to read the lyrics.. they are really, really something special. Talk to you soon! Xx!

Thank you! I love all your comments because somehow they make me feel like I'm the best writer in the world (though I know I'm quite a ways off) Anyway, thank you so much! It means a lot! And I know I say that a lot, but it's because it's true! 

Hey there! Oh, the anchor. Such a symbol isn't it? For seaman it was their last resort. For people it's well-grounded hope. The solid-bodied anchor has faithfulness and tranquility. Life is but a storm! And the anchor keeps us steady, once it's found. The simplicity of your poem is so nice. I love how you used such a great symbol and you were capable of writing something so strong a fierce in only a few lines. That's tough to do, but you did it very well. I love the rhymes in here. I love poems that tell stories! I love this line, 'It keeps my feet planted solidly on the ground.' That was great! The last stanza is perfect as well as the last line. You did a great job!