i've learned to love the stars | Teen Ink

i've learned to love the stars

By Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

nikki giovanni said
“those who ride the night winds
must learn to love the stars":
as one who rides
the untamed night winds
and is a child of the sun
and pregnant moon
i have learned to love
the myriad stars
children of the sun
and pregnant moon

i love those jagged edges
resembling broken glass
that slice my fingertips

the heat that melts

my skin like

candle wax

the way they all

gather without me

to make orion

and his dog

the empty holes

they leave behind

like adulterous lovers

yeah i’ve learned to love
those fickle bastards
despite our differences

This poem is inspired by Nikki Giovanni's poem "This Is Not for John Lennon (and this is not a poem)". And inspired by, of course, one of my literary pals here. You all know who.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

~~Thank you so much, lenabloop.~~Yours truly, Mckay. 

lenabloop SILVER, Denver, Colorado
Beautiful poem. I especially like the usage of "candle wax" as that's such a vivid but underutilized image that everyone's familiar with. The ending is a great reversal of expectation, as the tone changes and takes on a more humorous voice.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you so very much, Hanban12. That means the world for you to say that. Makes my day. I do hope I go far in writing. I guess we must wait to see what the future holds for me in this industry, if I can call it that. And so will you; you're a talented writer as well. Thanks. 

Hanban12 ELITE said...
Hanban12 ELITE, Lake Worth, Florida

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put foundations under them."
Henry David Thoreau

"I fell in love the way you fall asleep; slowly, and then all at once."
John Green

Its beautiful; the flow, rythym, and wording is amazing and deserves multiple applause. This piece is so unique and memorable, scorching through the reader's mind. Your talent is obvious through these words of the moon and sun- wonderful job. I can tell you will go soo far in writing.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Wow, thank you. I'm honored that it had such an effect on you. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you so much. I'll try to keep it up. 

ChrisJ PLATINUM, Rochester, New York

"Man must evolve for all human conflict a method which rejects revenge, aggression and retaliation. The foundation of such a method is love.”
- Martin Luther King Jr.

This free verse is so well-written, effervescent, and enthralling that I just had to read it twice. And great flow, as always.

TheSkyOwesMeRain GOLD, Irvine, California

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments which take your breath away.

You are only as strong as your weakest link.

This is amazing, keep up the great work! 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Bad a*s, huh? I hadn't thought about it in that way. Cool. Thank you, HazelGrace. Note to self: write more bad a*s poetry. 

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Brah, thank you so much. Nikki is such a great poem. If you haven't read her poetry, GO READ IT! I was inspired to read her work by paleteenager's (I think that's her name; or weliveforourscars; something like that) poem "to nikki giovanni". I checked out an anothology and was mind-blown. The poem that inspired this one is my favorite of hers. I too love the stars. If you notice I've been writing a lot about them lately. And this picture was an inspiration as well. I remember seeing it, and promising to myself that I'd use it soon enough. And "naturalistic": great word. Hadn't thought about that one. Thank you as always. I appreciate it when my brah reads my work. Always makes my day. 

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

This is beautiful! I, too, have learned to love the stars but I'd never be able to describe them like this.. you're just so brilliant. I love the quote by Nikki, though only a sentence it can mean so many things and it goes obviously very well with this poem. I think the picture you chose is also brilliant. I'm very fascinated with this, I love the form and the meaning of each line. As always your vocabulary is wonderful! Hmm, it's very what's the word? Maybe naturalistic? Yes, this poem is very naturalistic while still feeling exotic and almost fairy-tale like! Really this was a very beautiful and charming poem and I enjoyed it completely! GREAT GREAT ending! Love it, brah!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you so much! <3

writefearless SILVER, Manila, Other

scare your fear before it scares you.

how beautiful ♥

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thank you very much! 

EnyaSkittlez BRONZE, Bedford, Texas
4 articles 1 photo 1 comment

im as straight as a rainbow

wow i love this poem very much. great job!

HazelGrace said...
dear god. I love this so much. your description and flawless integration of the physical and emotional with your metaphors was stupendous. It's also kind of badd ass. Amazing work, as always :)

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

Thanks, Hammad.

HammadWaseem said...
HammadWaseem, Lahore, Other

Be proud of who you are.
-Eminem

You can't see me
-John Cena

Ooh, somebody stop me!
-Mask

Woah! amazing. 5 out of 5 stars.

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

― Weihui Zhou

"She" is a poet. That you should totally check out. Someone else here on this site wrote a poem on her work that tantalized me to check out her work, which eventually inspired me to write this piece. And "awesome sauce"—yay, you're using that word too! Thanks, Liv. 

Laugh-it-Out PLATINUM, Brooklyn, New York, New York

"Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light" --Dylan Thomas

Love it :) i don't know the guy ur talking about but he sounds pretty cool :) awesome sauce McKay rlly awesome job keep rockin