Galway Guy | Teen Ink

Galway Guy

By LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico
LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

I clutch the pinstriped umbrella
as I stroll the old long walk.
Sitting on the park bench
a fella of blue eyes and black hair.
He clasps a ticket and whistles
the song of an Irish band.
I pardon myself to have a seat
and his accented gesture allows.
I ask where he is going
and he asks why a gal like myself
would sit with a guy like he.
Gazing into my gold laced compact
I check the paleness of my cheeks.
Shaking his tight gripped hand
his accent calls, ‘Nice to meet you.’
When I’m no longer in his sight
I dab some lipstick on my cheeks.
I twirl and mix the rouge color
as it blends into my pale skin.
Walking into the hospital
I go through the same miserable routine.
Again I stroll the old long walk
where I see the blue eyed fella.
‘May I walk with you?’ he asks
and I ask why a guy like he
would walk with a gal like me.
For a time we were silent
but that didn’t last long
and soon enough I knew it;
I’d fallen in love with a Galway guy.
I wondered about his ticket
and why he missed the train
but soon enough I knew it;
he’d fallen in love with an uptown girl.
We did this every other Wednesday
and each time I grew thinner
and my cheeks grew paler.
One afternoon I left the hospital
And there I saw blue eyes,
he followed me to the sullen building
where I discovered I have tuberculosis
that will soon take me away.
He asks for my hand in marriage
and says we haven’t got long.
So, I kiss the gentleman farewell
and I stroll the old long walk.
Soon I hear his whistling
not too far behind
and I run until my umbrella pirouettes
from my shaky hands.
He catches my fall and cradles my head
and I ask why a guy like he
would love a gal like me.
He kisses my forehead softly
and that’s when I got the last glance
of my Galway guy.

While I am not sure how you will feel about this poem it's okay because the truth is I don't know how I feel about it myself. It's lengthy and a mix of two stories. As far as the picture.. I typed in Galway and that was an option. I'll leave it at that, but the poem was inspired by the song 'Galway Girl' by Steve Earle and partially by two movies, P.S I Love You and Moulin Rouge.

LoonyLoopyLupin GOLD, Raynham, Massachusetts

"I am proud of who I am. I believe in what I do." -Pavel Chekov (Star Trek The Original Series, episode: "The Way To Eden")

Everyone else has really delivered all the technical praises I would sing, so I will just say this: It made me want to cry. ... I loved it.

estucker1998 PLATINUM, Tuscaloosa, Alabama

The voracious ambition of humans is never sated by dreams coming true, because of the thought that everything may be done better and again. --John Green, The Fault in Our Stars.

Oh my gosh. I absoltuely loved this. Simple, with a great story, great imagery, and wonderful word choice. Perfect. Simply perfect. 

SoulPoetry PLATINUM, Sierra Madre, California

"I will work harder" (animal farm boxer the horse)

This poem reminds me of any nicholas sparks novel, a sad Taylor Swift song, and Romeo and Juliet mixed into one! When i first read the title and the author's comments i didn't know what i was going to read. I'm amazed with what i've read! Rhyming scheme is spot on and the visuals are vivid. You could make this into a book!

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.

If my vote counts for anything, yeah! You should turn it into a story!

MissExploration BRONZE, Vancouver, Washington

It Can Only Fly When It Needs To.

This poem reminds me of books I have read similar to this story in a way. The way you made this poem, it seemed like it was placed in the past, not the present. To me, I can see this piece turn into a story. I want to know more about what happened to the girl and how she got Tuberculosis. I like how you kept repeating "blue eyes" throughout this piece.

Superhero_Fan SILVER, Tomorrowland, California

"Impossible; for How many people did you know who refracted your own light to you?” - Fahrenheit 451

Great job Lexus! I'm glad I read this! It was wonderful. I haven't seen either movie, but it was good anyway. I kind of had the impression that this was in the past. Was my impression right? Anyway, good job, and keep writing!

OldYoungOne said...
I enjoyed reading this poem. I myself can't write story poem (don't have the patience) but I love readign them so a job well done.

sarah98 BRONZE said...
sarah98 BRONZE, Holyoke, Massachusetts

It is better to write for yourself and have no audience than write for your audience and have no self.

awwwwwwww this is so beautiful and heartbreaking </3 i love it. it kind of reminds me of a nicholas sparks. it was so sad and romantic. great job!!!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

I love the background of this poem. IT'S SUCH A LOVE STORY! I'm a sucker for love stories. Wait! If they're too over the top, forget it. But this is plausible. I love the two characters. (One thing: I'm not sure if it should be a "guy like him" due to the with. You know: object of the preposition. I know, I'm a NERD!) Regardless, I love the emotion. And I need to see those two movies. I haven't watched them...yet. Brah, you've watched everything. Glad that movies inspired you to write this lovely poem. (And never apologize for the length. A poem should be as long as it must be.) Great job, soul brah. 

I have thought of turning this into a story, as I don't have many posted, so I am taking it into consideration. Thanks for the feedback! It's much appreciated.

Labradorian PLATINUM, Chicago, Illinois
Although I sort of wish you would turn this into a full blown story, it has a certain charm as a poem, and the repition really accentates the plot line. A very enjoyable read.

Fallen_ PLATINUM, Quakertown, Pennsylvania

" a shattered world is only an opening into a new beginning with laughs, smiles, and love all around enter the world of the light and away from the broken darkness"

I love the story behinfd the poem. I like how's its like the differnt tiers/zones. 5/5 srsrs

Thanks, nele! It's much appreciated. Yes, you could say that, I knew where I wanted this poem to go I just didn't know how I'd get it there.. it turned into this. And Galway is a city in Ireland. Thanks again!

nelehjr DIAMOND, Lingle, Wyoming

I love the story behind this! Wow! This is you stepping out of your comfort zone, no? You've done well! I must know though...What is a galaway?