Reasons | Teen Ink

Reasons

By Emmett Yazzie BRONZE, Chinle, Arizona
Emmett Yazzie BRONZE, Chinle, Arizona

I will write every tiny reason I love you on my palm, and before you ever get to read, the sweat will wash away the ink and leave only a stain on flesh that will never love you any less.
I will write thankful reasons I love you on a noose, because I love you for saving who I am, for allowing me to accept the things I can’t change and the things I can.
I will write the favorite reasons I love you on the wire of a phone, because that is where I tell you them most while you’re in the lonely comfort of your own home.
I will write the subtle reasons I love you on my forehead, because who knew I would fall in love with your arm hairs or your cheeks or your thoughts or your teeth?
I will write every single reason I love you on closed doors, so that when one of us is close to leaving we will know what’s held us inside and kept us together, all the things that made us promise forever.
I will tell you “I love you” when I am tired, when I am sad, when I am happy, and when I am mad, because you are a million reasons to cry and a million more to smile, another to laugh and another to forget the miles.
Through every reason you are unique, you are who makes us one and who has made me, me. Without you I don’t know where’d I’d be, and I am glad we saved each other from who we were and pieced together who we are. I love you.