for rose, a brave one | Teen Ink

for rose, a brave one

By migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

"Never let the future disturb you. You will meet it, if you have to, with the same weapons of reason which today arm you against the present." --Marcus Aurelius

tiny broken thing,
you don't have to be so scared.
i know you are little
and the world, even my world,
is a giant awful place,
and i can't promise
you'll always be safe,
but you can at least be still, here on my
breast, in the cinnamon firstsnow
warm-in-a-red-quilt night.
you don't have to beat your working wing, now,
sweet small thing,
or jump away from me;
i will be your home
and you may perch on my life
and make your quiet noise
as long as you like.
i will do you no harm.

i will do you
no harm.

This summer I found myself a little gray warbler with a broken wing. She lives up in my room now. I don't think she'll ever be able to fly quite right anymore, but damn, she sure does try.

migwam ELITE said...
migwam ELITE, Tumwater, Washington

When I am old and too stubborn to be married, I will be a bird lady (as opposed to cat lady). We have three birds, counting Rose; an umbrella cockatoo we adopted (he was neglected and had taken to eating his own feathers off out of loneliness, so he's super ugly and scraggly. But he sings and dances and is so full of love and cuddliness) and a perfect little cockatiel. They are as much my family as anyone. Anyway. Rose probably won't ever heal correctly. Her legs are a little messed up too; she gets around by launching herself in the air and landing on her back, and then she does this odd break-dancing thing with her one working wing trying to get back up on her feet. It's pretty pathetic. But I love her, because she is brave, and she is mine <3

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Yes! I can relate with this one. Share-something-personal-about-yourself-story-time-since-you-did-it-first-time: We have two birds; I think they're parakeets (Australian parakeets, I don't know; all I know is that they're d*mn cute). A couple of months ago, the female bird hurt her leg, We're not sure what happened with her. We took her to the vet in like the middle of the night, since we were so worried that she wouldn't make it till the next day. They put a cast of her leg. But she refused to give up. She wasn't allowed to perch; but it didn't matter to her. With one good leg and the other one in a cast, she would perch, climb the cage, get on top of the cage and the house my dad built for her and the other male bird. A little fighter really. Now, she's all better. No more with the cast on her leg. Just laid four eggs recently. I hope they all hatch. Fingers crossed. So, I'm hoping this bird of yours fights as well. And makes it. It's tough for them. But, they teach so many lessons to us. Don't give up even when everything is tough. One good wing. One leg. I can't still make it, they say. She'll gain your trust soon enough. Your words are always full of caring and nuturing love for your friends, even if they have wings. ^u^ And promising too. Lovely.