Fight Club | Teen Ink

Fight Club

By mwatt12 SILVER, Elizabeth, Pennsylvania
mwatt12 SILVER, Elizabeth, Pennsylvania

"A creative man is motivated by the desire to achieve, not by the desire to beat others. " -Ayn Rand

Close your eyes and cover your ears
Shut your door tightly so no one else hears
The stream of profanity that fills the halls
Covered only slightly by the paper thin walls
Come out when the pain disappears

Walk away from the abhorrence of home
But then what is left to do, but roam
Aimlessly, endlessly
Incomprehensively
You find yourself cold and alone

Pick up the pieces of your broken spirit
Lock it away and never go near it
Until that glorious day
When you can finally say
That you have no more reason fear it.

I'm not sure that parents are always aware of the effects that fights within the home have on their children. Children that come from divorced families statistically are proven to be more psychologically disturbed than children whose parents have died. That's what Fight Club is. The battle of children vs. their inner demons.

mmmbri GOLD said...
mmmbri GOLD, Dubois, Pennsylvania

"each day's a gift, and not a given right."

This is AMAZING. I love the backround you add to it as well. You can really sense the emotion and heart you put into it. Keep up the good work! I'm impressed!

OkuniTachibana GOLD, Warrensville Heights, Ohio

As the fallen soldier walks up to the gates of heaven to St.Peter he says "another soildier reporting sir ive served my time in hell"

you are truely a great poet i think you could teach me a thing or two about poems truely impressive works

luv_4_broadway GOLD, Oshkosh, Wisconsin
everyone has those inner demons  :(  I really like the last stanza in  particular!!

Lahari GOLD said...
Lahari GOLD, Edison, New Jersey

\\\\\\\"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That\\\\\\\'s why its called the present.\\\\\\\"
— Eleanor Roosevelt

\\\\\\\"When life gives you lemons, make grape juice. Then sit back and watch as the world wonders how you did it.\\\\\\\'

WoW! That was really good! I know how much it hurts to hear parents screaming like that.

Boosflash DIAMOND, Papillion, Nebraska

What the front door.

This is really good captain. you're very creatie. do yuor dance.

Swiwi17 SILVER said...
Swiwi17 SILVER, Glasscity, Nevada

"Nothing ever promised tomorrow today"

This is awesome. I like it a lot

BillyJoeBobKellyGeorge PLATINUM, Gardena, California

"Life is what we make it, always has been, always will be." ~ grandma moses

I really enjoyed reading this limerick. The message has a nice flow to it.

colcojo said...
This poem is supremely deep, and filled with meaning. It ventures to talk about and even describe a very serious subject that is often taboo: abuse. Even the title, "Fight Club" provides a disturbing, sickening, but very true metaphor to the horror of it. When you said, "Walk away from the abhorrences of home

But then what is left to do, but roam

Aimlessly, endlessly

Incomprehensively

You find yourself cold and alone" I thought you really hit home in the way you described the feelings of the victims of abuse. It was especially effective when you used the three -ly adjectives (aimlessly, endlessly, incomprehensively) to describe the wanderings because they all host a feeling of depression- an accurate word to describe what such a person would seem to be surrounded by if they were in such a horrid situation. However, you did not leave us without hope, as you wrote, "Pick up the pieces of your broken spirit

Lock it away and never go near it

Until that glorious day

When you can finally say

That you have no more reason to fear it." I think that adding that last stanza turned what would have been a good poem to an amazing one, because it showed that abuse can be conquered, and that people can get over it. The way you explained hiding from your inner feelings as locking up the pieces of your broken spirit provided a much needed mental image to help me understand exactly what you were saying. All things considered, I thought you did a fantastic job on providing a detailed description of the terrors of violence. I hope to read more.

Celeste BRONZE said...
Celeste BRONZE, Dundas, Other
This is a very powerful poem. It's captivating and it really made me appreciate how lucky I am to have two parents who get along.

Keep writing, mwatt12!