Lost in Literature | Teen Ink

Lost in Literature

By DraggingAnchor BRONZE, New London, Connecticut
DraggingAnchor BRONZE, New London, Connecticut

Everyone has the potential to be a great reader. You just need to find the right book.

O, mem'ries what beholden me at night,
to tempt my mind from wondrous words to those,
that write in person, action, sound, and sight,
hold not with structure found in verse and prose,
that sing to us and speak what is not said,
amuse, enrage, or bring such joy and strife.
Their pain endures past all the paper read,
the cover closes not the Book of Life.
All books enshelv'ed, mind released to think,
on all the sorrows of this world and age. 
Of these I chanced to lose amid the ink,
that stains the ends of fingers on the page;
when I my eyes the outside world forsooke,
and drifted down to rest upon a book. 

Sonnets are outdated by today's standards. However, as a Shakespeare enthusiast, while I enjoy his plays more, I still hold deep respect for his poetry as well. I believe that sonnets are some of the more graceful poetry styles available to the contemporary writer. We can resurrect the art of sonnetry.

Helena_Noel BRONZE, Burnt Hills, New York

“I'd rather see a sermon than hear one any day; I'd rather one should walk with me than merely tell the way: The eye's a better pupil and more willing than the ear, fine counsel is confusing, but example's always clear.” -Edgar Guest

Holy cow, you have some talent there. It has such a beautiful ring to it, perhaps because there is a regularity, a sweet and flowing rythem to it that many of the poems on this site lack. Perhaps, but I don't think that is the only reason. I think it is because those words have meaning in them, they could only be thought up and put down by someone who truly cares about lierature. Also, I'm a bit impressed that someone on this site knows what a sonnet is. Don't get me wrong, I have read some good works under the sonnet section, but this is the first actual sonnet. Great work, 5/5!

daniskate416 BRONZE, Bristol, Rhode Island

"To me, Fearless is living in spite of those things that scare you to death."-Taylor Swift

Wow amazing job! Sonnets are quite difficult and yours is flawless :)

PurpleRockstar GOLD, Lexington, Kentucky

A creative person has to create. It doesn't really matter what you create. If such a dancer wanted to go out and build the cactus gardens where he could, in Mexico, let him do that, but something that is creative has to go on. --Katherine Dunham

I really like this. It flows and makes total sense.

Dragonfly13 GOLD, Tyngsboro, Massachusetts

"Always do what you are afraid to do." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

This is really good poetry!!!! Nice work!!

pens-are-mightier-than-swords SILVER, Caledonia, Michigan

"we often put up walls not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down"
~Author Unknown

Nicely done! Sonnets are hard to write! If you get the chance, could you please check out my poem Struggle?

AlaskaFrost GOLD, Acushnet, Massachusetts
wow this is such a great poem!!! i'm even more impressed that it's a sonnet, written CORRECTLY!

nikkigonefishin GOLD, Los Angeles, California

" A smile is worth a thousand words"
" The purpose of the writer is to keep civilization from destroying itself."- Albert Camus

I like this. You know I read once that the work that are most remembered are the ones that speak to every one and your  poem does just that. Good job :)

Laura_Oliver GOLD, Manchester, Connecticut
Where are you planning to go with this?

thezebrasgray PLATINUM, Taylorsville, Utah
wow, that's all i can say

Angeleyes12 SILVER, Hatfield, Pennsylvania
I have to say you poem is simply beautiful, it is complimented well be the Sonnet style. What is your main message of the poem? I was a bit confused when i read it and i came across a few different meanings while i was reading it.. Could you clarify what you wanted the reader to come away with? Thank you :) Keep Writing!

I, too, was a bit put out when I looked at the sonnet section and found many poems that were not actually sonnets. 

Thank you for reading and commenting on my sonnet. Your honest feedback is valuable, especially when it regards the meaning of the poem, which, while clear to the author, may be somewhat less obvious to readers. Thank you for letting me know! 

SongSparrow said...
SongSparrow, Evanston, Illinois

Finally, a sonnet that is actually sonnet! There are some great poems listed under sonnet on this site, but half of them aren't the real thing. Alas.

Okay, so, concerning your poem: I read it through like five times and don't understand it. In my unprofessional,  personal opinion, that is not a good thing. I personally think that good poetry uses simple words, with a complex overall meaning. But even that is not necessary. For example, when I read Emily Dickinson, or, say Shakespeare, I feel something, I kinda know what the poem is about, even if I maybe did not get the whole thing. So obviously you aren't Shaekspeare or Dickinson, but aim for the stars, right? Some advice: it seems like you are trying too hard with the wording, you know? Take it or leave it, just don't take offense, your poem has a cool idea and once this is posted I am going to check out your other stuff.