Pepper | Teen Ink

Pepper

By TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas
TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there's a light shining somewhere nearby." - Unknown

Scattered among your furious, fiery fellows
While I notably boast my dire desire
Your pieces are an inferno, your taste bellows
As you spark my lips with scorching fire

You scream and sting my lips with wishes
Of more to reach me just like you
I uncover my tongue performing swishes
As it tries to remember and pursue

As you merely embellish your nearby neighbors
You never fail to please my mouth
They underestimate your labors
Pleasing many and causing oral drought

And as your fiery bliss passes my lips
Your peppery flavor is hard to eclipse

In my advanced ELA class, we had to write a love sonnet to our favorite food. To you, pepper! ~ Think of all of the things your mouth does when you eat pepper; that's what I tried to establish in this poem.

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thank you!! (: I appreciate all of the feedback you've provided... (: It means a TON. No recommendations?? (:

LexusMarie PLATINUM, Las Cruces, New Mexico

The more control you have over yourself, the less control others have over you.

Hey there! It's refreshing to read some new work of yours, it's been awhile! When I first saw the title I thought about Pepper from Iron Man 3! Haha. And it even fit with all these fiery remarks, if you've seen the third one you'll get it. Anyways, I love this! It was a tongue twister for me, the rhymes were crazy, it was wickedly good. I loved reading this. Reading it out loud, ooh la la. Your word choices are excellent.. loved those! This was soooo creative and then you made it into a sonnet and those are already tough. Your talent is like fire. You go!

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thankyou so much!

PrincessClaire BRONZE, Fayetteville, North Carolina

don't do me do your hair

Really cute poem! You did a good job of making something so seemingly insignifigant as pepper to seem so important- and thru a poem too! Amazing!

readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

I'm on Spring Break so I don't have any excuse :)

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Yes, I didn't exactly adhere to the syllable rules. ;) It was for a school project, and she didn't mind the syllables being a little off. I'm glad that you noticed that though! I'll  be sure to take that into consideration when I'm writing future poems!!

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Oh (: Well, I'll try to get to more this weekend!!

Mckay ELITE said...
Mckay ELITE, Somewhere, Virginia

"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."
—Apple’s “Think Different” commercial, 1997
“Crazy people are considered mad by the rest of the society only because their intelligence isn't understood.”
― Weihui Zhou

Very creative. It requires a certain level of skill to write a sonnet, especially on something so insignificant as pepper. I wasn't sure however because of how the poem was posted. But i believe some of the syllables were somewhat off measure. Ten syllables are to be in each line, no? Other than that,the imagery was vivacious.

~Jhonen Vasquez

Are you KIDDING?  Didn't you already read three of my things?  That's honestly a lot for me, since I don't have a lot of stuff up

TaylorWintry DIAMOND, Carrollton, Texas

Thanks so much! (: You're being great to me. haha (: Sorry I haven't gotten to read more of your work; I've been super busy. :/

~Jhonen Vasquez

Cool!  I love it!  At first I thought it was about fire (because of the pic, I guess) and it was really confusing, but after reading the comment, I read it again...and for a poem about a food, it really is a great poem!  Your descrition and imagery is AMAZING!  You just bring everything to life...I love it!!