Southwest Airlines Review | Teen Ink

Southwest Airlines Review

By Englishcomp2901 BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin
Englishcomp2901 BRONZE, Delafield, Wisconsin

"If you ain't first you're last"- Ricky Bobby

I travel monthly. Whether it is for a competition, a training camp, or a visit with my parents, I am always on the move. The large amount of traveling I do influences me to continuously look for the cheapest flight. However, cheap is not the only factor I look for when I am searching for a way to get around.

Throughout the years, airlines have attempted to find ways to lower prices in order to attract a wider range of customers. These attempts could include lowering the price of tickets or allowing a free checked bag. However, in order to make the flight less expensive, airlines have to remove amenities common in flights. These amenities could include leg room, snacks, or beverages.

Southwest airlines is one of the many airlines that has strived to follow this new standard model. They claim to have an effective way of providing a good experience on a flight as well as providing a cheap ticket. I decided to test out this claim, and to my delight, I was pleased by my experience.

As I was buying my ticket from Milwaukee, Wisconsin to Phoenix, Arizona, I was glad to see that their website was very easy to navigate. It was very simple for me to buy my ticket and I did not have to go through the troubles of picking my seat due to how they seat the plane. When the price came up, I was pleasantly surprised with it. It was noticeably cheaper than a United Airlines ticket, which I normally fly. However, this did bother me a little bit because a cheaper ticket often means a cheaper flight.

A day before the flight, you have to sign in on the Southwest website in order to get your boarding position. I got B21, which was good enough to get myself either a window or an isle. I was impressed with how they let you choose your seat as you get on the plane instead of being assigned a seat like the other airlines do. It provided a unique way of giving people a better shot at getting their desired seat.

When I arrived at the airport, I strolled over to the check-in desk in order to check my two bags. As I pulled out my credit card in order to pay for my bags, the lady behind the desk named Cindy told me that it was not necessary. She told me that both of my checked bags were completely free as long as they were under fifty pounds. She also said that I was allowed one carry on bag for future travel. This surprised me. It displayed Southwest’s commitment to a cheap flight.

When I got on the plane, I was able to get a window seat. As I sat down, it was easy to notice the abundance of leg room that was provided. I was able to have a comfortable amount of leg space without feeling cramped into my seat. When the seats next to me were finally filled, I was surprised that there was still plenty of arm room. I did not feel jammed in at all, and I felt like I had the ability to move around comfortably.

After we took off and got situated in the air, it was time for the flight attendants to hand out beverages. Our flight attendant very nicely asked what beverage I wanted. I got a simple water, but as I looked at their cart, I saw a vast amount of beverages available. Southwest had Minute Maid orange Juice, Dr. Pepper, and everything in between. You could fly with the airline 30 times and not have the same drink twice. After they gave me my beverage, they also gave me some pretzels and some crackers. This was pleasing to me because most other airlines, such as United Airlines, do not give you a snack during the flight.

Southwest proved to be a well-balanced airline that balanced price and amenities perfectly. What you received for the price of the ticket was second to none. Next time you want to fly a budget airline, your decision should not be about what airline it is, but rather what drink you’re going to have on Southwest Airlines.