Le Brie Cheese Review | Teen Ink

Le Brie Cheese Review

By OakwoodCat GOLD, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin
OakwoodCat GOLD, Wauwatosa, Wisconsin

“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: "What! You too? I thought I was the only one.”
― C.S. Lewis

“S'il qui mange du fromage, s'il ne fait, il enrage." is an French proverb that in English means: The one who does not eat cheese, is always in a state of turbulence. A couple of days ago, my family and I tried the French cheese Le Brie on French bread. When I opened the package of Brie, I was surprised to find a spongy rind all around it, surrounding the soft, creamy cheese. Being unused to it, I cut off the rind, and just spread the cheese on the bread, but I later learned that the rind was made of edible mold. Truthfully, I wasn’t overly fond of the smell of the cheese itself, but I loved it with the bread. My mom liked how creamy it was, and my dad said it wasn’t his favorite, but wasn’t bad. My little sister Claire, took it off the bread, squeezed it into a ball, and asked for butter. My little brother loved it, and had three pieces of bread with the cheese on it! Compared to American cheese, I thought it had an richer flavor, probably because the cheese is ripened for 5-6 months. I love to try new things, and trying Brie cheese is an experience I will never forget.