Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli | Teen Ink

Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli MAG

By WK9232015 GOLD, Amherst, Massachusetts
WK9232015 GOLD, Amherst, Massachusetts

Never underestimate a well read woman

Set in a small town outside Atlanta, Georgia, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli tells the story of 16-year-old Simon Spier’s complicated relationships with friends, peers, family, and his own sexual orientation. His relationship with Blue, the pen name of the boy he’s been e-mailing is at risk when one of their e-mails falls into the wrong hands. He’s being blackmailed; if he doesn’t get class clown Martin a date with his friend Abby, Martin will tell everyone that Simon is gay. While the story is set in present day, Shady Creek isn’t a progressive town, and Simon doesn’t feel ready to step outside his comfort zone.

I can connect with Simon a lot as I myself am bisexual; even in a progressive town, I have faced many of his challenges such as dealing with people making mean jokes about gay people. He’s a real character that makes mistakes and you know how he feels afterwards. You can laugh with Simon and share the jokes the characters make. He’s the kind of person you would want to hang out with in real life.

While the vocabulary Albertalli uses isn’t that complicated, the words paint a vivid picture in your head. You can imagine all the scenery in the book.

I loved Albertalli’s book, but I would recommend the book for ages 12 and up because there is some swearing and a bit of mature talk. However, it’s a light read that I think everyone would enjoy. A book that keeps you up at night, Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda is a delightful read you won’t be able to put down.