The Chocolate Touch | Teen Ink

The Chocolate Touch

The Chocolate Touch was written by a man named Patrick Skene Catling. The author was born in London. He wrote this book in 1952. I found this book to be entertaining and humorous. It also has a lot to teach us.

The Chocolate Touch tells the story of a boy named John Midas. Most of the time John was a very nice boy. He was fortunate and lived in a cozy house with an expansive green lawn. John’s biggest fault was that he was greedy when it came to candy. The author introduces us to a variety of candy that I had never heard of before. He said that John was not fussy when it came to candy. He liked boiled candy, licorice all-sorts, old-fashioned toffee and so on. In all, he liked about twenty different types of candy, but chocolate was his favorite.  He spent all his money on candy and always ate all the candy by himself.

A Sunday afternoon, John was on the way to his friend Susan’s house. Suddenly he saw a silver dollar. On the coin, there were only two letters engraved on it, a J and a M. He thought it must be fate as they were his own initials. He went on home but decided to take a different route. He was surprised when he saw a shop. There was a lot of chocolate in the shop window, this enticed John。A man stood beside the window。The man saw John,” Don’t just stand in the doorway, John” the man called heartily.” Come on in and get some fresh, sweet, creamy chocolate.” John couldn’t believe that the man knew John’s name. Who’s he? It must be magic. John decided to enter the shop, but he didn’t have any money.  The man reminded John that he had a silver coin. He told John he could exchange it for anything in the store. John’s greedy nature took over and he chose the biggest box of chocolate. When John returned home and opened the box, he was disappointed to find only one piece of chocolate. John ate it, it tasted like no other chocolate he ever had. After that moment, John’s life changed.

When John woke up the next morning, he brushed his teeth as always, but as soon as he put the toothpaste in his mouth and it touched his teeth, it changed to chocolate. John pulled the toothbrush out of his mouth. Wow! The toothpaste was brown! It was yummy! His younger sister was surprised when John ate all his toothpaste.

Then he went downstairs to eat breakfast. John was shocked to find that the orange juice that he usually hated to drink was now sweet and delicious like a liquid bar of chocolate. As John walked to school that morning, he couldn’t stop thinking about his all chocolate breakfast. He felt lucky as he remembered the eggs and the bacon, which he normally could hardly stand to but in his mouth. While he was thinking, he didn’t realize that he had put his glove in his mouth. Suddenly, it too turned to mouthwatering piece of chocolate.

After a while John felt thirsty. All this chocolate was making his mouth dry. He was craving a gulp of cool clear water, but as soon as his mouth touched the water coming from the drinking fountain, it changed to chocolate syrup! He couldn’t drink water! What happened next? Read the book and find out.