Copper Sun Review | Teen Ink

Copper Sun Review

By Adrien Trieu BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia
Adrien Trieu BRONZE, Marietta, Georgia

Copper Sun Review

Copper Sun

Sharon M. Draper

Atheneum Books for Young Readers 2006

Historical Fiction

Copper Sun takes place during the time of slavery and in Africa and the United States. It is about a 15 year old girl named Amari. The story tells about her experience with slavery; to her journey to freedom. She is sold to a man named Mr. Derby; there she meets a girl named Polly. Polly is a white girl that is an indentured servant.

Together they help each other through the ups and downs. The girls are working on Mr. Derby’s plantation. There they meet many people that help. I’ll talk about three characters that really helped them a lot. They meet Teenie; she is the cook at the Mr. Derby’s House/Plantation. She helps the girls a lot by cooking for them and she also takes care of them like if they were her own children.

Also they meet Tidbit; which is Teenies son. He helps them with there chores and also keeps them company. Cato is the oldest and the wisest one there. He helps them with their escape to freedom. Cato tells them to go South instead of North. These characters are the memorable characters in my opinion.

The theme of this book I think is Sharon M. Draper is trying to tell us if you don’t give up. If you keep trying and hoping; you will get your chance eventually. Like how Amari never gave up; she wanted to commit suicide but her friends helped her through it. By not giving up; Amari had gotten her chance.

Copper Sun to me is a superb book. This book gives you a really good idea about slavery. I would rather read this then reading a boring old textbook. Sharon did a really good job of keeping the readers reading. There would always be something that would pop up. It just made me keep reading that I couldn’t help myself. On a scale of 1 to 5 I would give it a 5. I highly recommend this book to young readers and even adults.

I love this book. At first it bored me then it gt real interesting.You should read it,

-A coleman student<3