What Makes Emma Likable as a Character | Teen Ink

What Makes Emma Likable as a Character

By CamelliaZ BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania
CamelliaZ BRONZE, Newtown, Pennsylvania

Emma is clever but continually mistaken, kindhearted but capable of callous behavior. Austen commented that Emma is a heroine “no one but myself will much like.” As the whole book Emma is written from Emma’s subjective perspective, we look into her heart in the very detail. Contradiction can be found everywhere in her behavior. For example, being critical of rigid class division while also controlling people by adding her own. Nevertheless, we find it very hard to reject such a “handsome, clever, and rich” character who represents the most charming example of not only as a brave female but also an independent-minded figure for today’s people. She is not likable for the things she has done as she can be sometimes slightly impetuous and offensive, but more for her unique character and her willingness to accept the imperfections in herself as a friend, critique and thinker.

Although Emma can be controlling and offensive sometimes, she cares for her friend more than anyone earnestly, especially for their marriage and happiness. At first sight, she seems no different from everyone’s annoying neighbor in her fifties, who is self-convinced as a matchmaker, and even more controlling and determined once she makes her mind about a perfect match between two friends. However, she devotes herself to matchmaking more for her dearest friends’ happiness than her own pleasure as a genuine friend. Emma sends her beloved governess and companion Miss Taylor away, believing that Miss Taylor deserves a life of her own with her loved one. Emma has also arranged many meetings for Mr. Elton, a handsome and agreeable village vicar, and Harriet, a pretty but unremarkable girl living at local boarding school. After sensing an unusually intimate connection and affection between the two, Emma repeatedly convinced Harriet of her feeling for Mr. Elton indirectly, like how she always performs the pair-matching scheme. Despite that, Emma remembers to pull herself away from the arrangement appropriately and properly by leaving it up to Harriet herself to make the final decision. When it comes to the point where Harriet is hesitated about accepting Mr. Elton’s proposal, Emma refuses to say any word besides “You must be the own judge of your happiness.” Intentionally paying less attention to the background and class difference between the two, Emma places her friend’s intuition and feeling at the first place and as the only determining factor of a successful proposal. She always takes her friend’s matter as her own business passionately and still is willing to leave enough space for her friends’ independent consideration in the end.  Because of her superiority and identity that she was born with, she is convinced of her intuition in assigning matches and ability to give her friends a happy life, which sometimes lead to an abrupt or less considerate relationship. Her pair-matching might unlikely to be very acceptable, however, her sincere care for her friends’ happiness is in and of itself very appreciable.

As a rather rebellious female who seems rejective of many routines such as predestined relationship or class divisions, she is used to make direct judgements and criticize the wrongdoings in her eyes of strangers and her friends. Often being considered as very self-centered and stubborn, she views the efficient and direct delivery of her viewpoints as the whole purpose in conversations, without being aware of the appropriacy of the occasions and the expected response from listeners. The interaction between Miss Bates and Emma somehow reveals the unappreciated and unfavorable feature of Emma’s character. Miss Bates is a goodwill and kind middle-aged woman who always enjoys sharing stories talkatively. During a group game, Emma cannot bear but scoff at Miss Bates for the “stupidity” of Miss Bates’ way of talking. Emma, indeed, is often unconscious about her words and others’ feelings, but she never intends to hurt Miss Bates who she finds kindhearted and likable. Either generated by an accumulated dissatisfaction of her “stories” or by an attempted pleasure of criticizing, that single sentence portrays her as edgy and prideful when she does not reply or express her regret right away even after recognizing her mistake. However, more importantly, we see Emma improving and reflecting on herself when she visits Miss Bates later to make up. Emma is surely admirable, for her willingness to speaking what is on her mind and for putting her so-called dignity aside when asking for forgiveness.

The most appealing thing about Emma is how she chooses to follow her heart without setting much limit for her life. She refuses to take the traditional route paved for young female during 19th century – marrying a “rich and decent gentleman,” but gets married to Mr. Knightly, Emma’s brother-in-law and a respected landowner who always openly critical of Emma and oftentimes exchange ideas in arguments with her, very soon after confirming each other’s affectation. She acts as a caring friend, acknowledges her prejudices admittedly, takes the responsibility of wrongdoings, and be aware of her own feeling and opinions. Without adding unnecessary burden of social courtesy on her shoulder, she spends time with the people she likes and changes her mind whenever she wants. Such a comfortable and determined principle of social interaction is something many people today still admire and require efforts to achieve, as many of us are so sticking with the assigned “right” pattern and others’ opinions.