The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn | Teen Ink

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

December 27, 2021
By Jiaxin SILVER, Beijing, Other
Jiaxin SILVER, Beijing, Other
8 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is a classic novel written by Mark Twain in the 1884s. The protagonist is Huckleberry Finn, also known as Huck, who goes on a journey along the Mississippi River facing threats along the way. The reader discovers the redeeming qualities and faults of the South through his eyes. Mark Twain was an incredibly influential author in American literature. He also wrote the classic The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. This book accompanies The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, a humorous, suspenseful and book intended for entertainment. While differentiating between dark and satirical prose, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn addresses issues such as slavery, hypocrisy, morality and prejudice. The irony, adventure, and wit are literary elements that contribute to the classic status throughout the novel. Although this piece was a huge success, some critics feel Twain's depiction of Jim was stereotypical and too superficial, consequently concluding that this book was racist.

Set in the pre-Civil War South (antebellum), The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn is about a young boy Huck, who lives in the South and has an abusive father and a friend named Jim. The story unfolds as Huck journeys down the Mississippi River. Huck encounters a child slave named Jim and travels with him downriver. While on their journey, they pick up two con artists, which Huck exposes. They turn Jim over to another slave owner. However, the gap between the racial differences between Huck and Jim does not obstruct their friendship. Jim is also painted as a portrait that is rebellious, genuine, warmhearted and astute all at the same time. The story concludes with Tom confessing his and Huck's true identities and revealing that Jim was free from Miss Watson long ago. Jim then tells Huck he is free from his abusive father, whose dead body Jim found early in their journey. In the end, Huck says that he's had enough of civilization and intends to travel west.

Through the story, Mark Twain expresses the hypocrisies of civilized society. Huck struggles as he witnesses racism firsthand and deals with the moral dilemma of helping Jim escape. The social constraints and lack of universal acceptance cause Huck to doubt whether he should turn Jim in. But his friendship with Jim is what holds him back. Twain used Huck's father to symbolize the hypocrisies of society. He experienced a period of enslavement by his father, where he was beaten, imprisoned, and criticized by him. The legal system didn't stop this from happening, and even if Huck was unable to articulate why he did it, he knew it wasn't right. Living during slavery, Huck struggled with right and wrong. As a result, Huck believed his good actions were unjust. Twain conveys the dangers and social conventions which affect us. Through education and the Bible, Huck has accepted the ideology that his morally bankrupted society has espoused over his natural human empathy.

The adventure of Huck is a valuable and controversial chronicle of slavery. Twain's ultimate messages of independence, friendship, and freedom in the novel have left an indelible mark on the country. Mark Twain portrays Huck as a hero and a rebel, an outsider fighting for right and just. Huck has a genuine and honest heart and has left his mark in literature