A Pho Love Story by Loan Le | Teen Ink

A Pho Love Story by Loan Le

By Moonz BRONZE, Sacramento, California
Moonz BRONZE, Sacramento, California

“If you don't like something, change it If you can’t change it, change your attitude” -Maya Angelou

Like many kids I found independent reading reading and reading in general difficult, that was until I picked up A Pho Love Story by Loan Le where I found myself wanting to read more. It’s a romance story about two teens of Vietnamese immigrant parents who are trying to figure out what they want to pursue after high school while also trying to manage problems outside of school. The book has many elements making the book interesting without being overwhelming. A Pho Love Story is a great book because  it is relatable.

A pho love story is about two high school students Linh and Bao, who are trying to figure out what they want to do after high school. Linh is an artist who is afraid to disappoint her parents who have worked hard for her while Bao has no idea what his passion is while other students have a plan for their future. Linh and Bao’s family have rivalry and don’t get along but Linh and Bao spend time together and they end up finding comfort and strength in each other.

Throughout the book we can see a message that it’s never too late to figure out your passion in life and that you shouldn’t be afraid to follow your dreams. We can see this in both of our main characters when Bao finds out what he wants to do and Linh when she embraces her artistic side instead of hiding it from her family.

High school is the last step until adulthood and many of us, including I, have not yet figured out what we want to do. I was able to relate to Bao who is going through the same thing as I am, which was nice because I thought I was falling behind from the other students who knew what they wanted and are working hard for it. It was nice to know that I'm not alone in this situation.

Their highschool experience wasn’t the only thing I found relatable. A Pho Love Story is about Teens of Vietnamese immigrant parents in California. It was a change of characters and location compared to other typical romance stories. It was a romance story of teens who face issues of hard working immigrant parents and issues of racism towards them. The fact that the characters weren’t white people made me interested in the book in the first place.

I would recommend this book because it is a great book with an interesting plot and characters. I would recommend this book to teens who want to find something they can relate to and are facing the issue of life after high school.

If you are a teen who has difficulty reading or finding a good book, try giving A Pho Love Story a chance because I did and I truly enjoyed reading it.

This is the first book i have ever completed and truly enjoyed.