Deprivation by Roy Freirich | Teen Ink

Deprivation by Roy Freirich

March 7, 2024
By mickyds BRONZE, Schaumburg, Illinois
mickyds BRONZE, Schaumburg, Illinois
4 articles 4 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
N/A.


A palpable sense of unease descends upon Carratuck Island, NY, as an inexplicable epidemic of insomnia grips both residents and tourists. Dr. Sam Carlson, the local physician, grapples with the baffling phenomenon, while Chief, increasingly frustrated, discovers a lone child at the beach, bereft of parents save for a handheld video game. Sam and his partner, Kathy, step forward to provide temporary care for the boy until Child Services can intervene.

Amidst the turmoil, the tragic circumstances surrounding the boy's mother's demise emerge, with Cort, a guilt-stricken teenager responsible for her care, bearing the weight of responsibility. As Cort embarks on a sleep-deprivation challenge on social media with a peer named Tay, their burgeoning relationship unfolds against the backdrop of societal indifference.

As the island descends further into chaos, the scarcity of sleep aids exacerbates tensions, leading to dissent and upheaval. Kathy, like many others, grapples with the absence of solutions, finding little solace in Sam's attempts at reassurance. Matters escalate when a self-proclaimed expert implicates the traumatized, speechless boy in the unfolding crisis.

Set against the arid backdrop of a summer on the island, the narrative unfolds with richly layered action, offering a departure from conventional thrillers. Freirich's distinctive prose style lends an air of mystery to the tale while imbuing it with deeper thematic resonance.

This book transcends the bounds of a typical thriller, exploring the profound implications of a sleepless night. Freirich's narrative not only captivates with its enigmatic allure but also serves a larger narrative purpose.


The author's comments:

Michelle's journey as a book reviewer since 2018 has been marked by versatility and dedication. Transitioning through various blog names, she has consistently provided a platform to promote authors, publishers, and their books. From organizing book cover reveals to conducting tours and blitzes, Michelle's repertoire includes esteemed publicity services like Rockstar Book Tours, Goddess Fish Promotions, Meerkat Press, Lola's Blog Tours, and more. With access to advanced reading copies from prominent publishing houses such as Scholastic, Penguin Random House, Disney, and Harper Collins, her reviews are well-informed and insightful. Now resuming her passion with the new blog, “Michelle, The Book Critic”, after a hiatus, Michelle is poised to reignite her love for reading and sharing her opinions within the vibrant community of book reviewers.