Chainfire | Teen Ink

Chainfire MAG

By Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
Bapalapa2 ELITE, Brooklyn, New York
1044 articles 0 photos 1 comment

     The newly released Chainfire is a thrilling addition to Terry Goodkind's best-selling The Sword of Truth series, and the perfect final installment. Devoted fans have waited since 2003 for this ninth page-turner from the famous epic novelist. Every time, Goodkind sucks the reader into his world of heroic battles and unforgettable romance, making them appealing to everyone. His two-inch thick books always have a satisfying conclusion that makes his fans say, “That was so good! There is no way he can write another like this one.”

I can just imagine Mr. Goodkind sitting at his computer, taking a sip of coffee, and then punching away at the keys saying, “There's still more.” He has, however, clearly stated that Chainfire is his final book in this series.

What makes this story unique is that he begins his tale so slyly that readers glue their excited eyes to the pages and wait for an explanation. The two main characters - Richard Rahl, a newly made leader of the free world, and his beloved wife, a respected leader of extreme power - are separated by an unknown enchantment. When Richard wakes from a wound, he is believed to have gone mad for saying that he was married to Kahlan.

Goodkind has a masterful talent for making characters' emotions swell up inside a reader. His excellent diction is never boring or lacking description. When enjoying this book, a sense of sympathy is created, for Goodkind uses every human flaw or mind-bending thought for a strong foundation.

The most remarkable aspect of Chainfire is its unpredictable ending. By not actually writing the happily-ever-after or tragic end, he has allowed his fans to make it end any way we see fit.

This is a treat for true fans, for we all secretly know what happens, because Terry Goodkind is that good at telling a fantastic story.