Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher | Teen Ink

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

November 25, 2009
By cheeseNrice BRONZE, Dell Rapids, South Dakota
cheeseNrice BRONZE, Dell Rapids, South Dakota
3 articles 0 photos 5 comments

“Thirteen Reasons Why” had a very interesting and intriguing plot to the story. The author Jay Asher had a very honest and fearless point of view when he wrote this story.
“Thirteen Reasons Why” is the story of a boy named Clay who a crush on this girl had named Hannah. Hannah also had a crush on Clay and they knew each other well. There is just one problem to this romance in the making; Hannah committed suicide two weeks earlier. Nobody including Clay knew why Hannah committed suicide two weeks earlier until Clay gets a package after school one day and it is filled with cassette tapes. On the tapes is Hannah’s voice telling that there are thirteen reasons why she committed suicide. The tapes will be passed through the thirteen people so each person can know what their part and the other twelve peoples parts had to do with Hannah committing suicide.
Jay Asher had a very unique and personal writing style which is unlike anything I have ever read before. The way Asher portrayed Hannah and her voice was unlike anything I have ever read before. The way the words were written in this book gave off the effect that the main character Hannah was talking directly to the reader telling this story. Asher did a very well job with this book.
In my opinion Asher is an inspiring author for all people. That emotional effect that this book gave off is phenomenal, and I think that all people can relate to some part in this book. This is one of the best books I have read in a long time simply because you cannot get bored with this book.
Jay Asher is a very talented author, and I am very excited to keep reading this work. I would recommend this book to anybody who likes an interesting mystery.


JOIN THE DISCUSSION

This article has 1 comment.


on Dec. 9 2009 at 9:57 am
pictolover SILVER, Brookfield, Missouri
8 articles 0 photos 60 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Life is like a roller coaster. When you don't know what to do buckle up, close your eyes, and enjoy the ride."

I read this book once. then, i started it again a few days later! in a neighboring town there is a rocket slide and it makes me tear up every time i drive by it.